Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > Obituaries Updates

Obituaries Updates [Main Page]
This section covers updates or new additions to our obituaries database.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Capt Joshua S. Meadows, USMC, 30, Elgin, TX (Afghanistan)

UPDATED...U.S. Marine Captain Meadows killed in Afghanistan

A 30-year-old Marine from Elgin, Captain Joshua Meadows, was killed in the line of duty in Afghanistan leaving behind numerous family and friends to mourn his death.

Captain Meadows died Saturday, Sept. 5, from wounds sustained in a cross-fire during a special forces mission as part of Operation Enduring Freedom, friends of the family reported.

News of Meadows' death has quickly spread throughout the community although the U.S. Department of Defense has not yet released any details regarding the Marine's passing as of press time, however, military officials reported that as of Saturday, one died of wounds after coming under fire in eastern Afghanistan and another of wounds from hostile small-arms fire in western Afghanistan. Meadows is among 738 U.S. military members who have died to date in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Uzbekistan as a result of the U.S. military action in Afghanistan after the 9-11-01 attack on New York City, according to the Defense Department.

An accomplished Marine who was stationed at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Meadows is said to have been very proud to serve his country and had been deployed overseas several times throughout his military career. In August of 2008, Meadows was the lead Marine Corps Huey helicopter pilot seeing action in the Gulf of Aden in an operation that prevented a pirate attack on the Gem of Kilakarai, a Singapore cargo ship. Marines with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, were deployed aboard the USS Peleliu provided aerial support and explosive ordnance disposal during the mission.

Meadows who was an Eagle Scout, graduated from Elgin High School in 1997 and joined the U.S. Marines Corps before completing his high school studies. He was listed as active duty in May 1997 and reported to boot camp in San Diego. He was on active duty there through December. In January 1998, he enrolled at Texas Tech University and served as a member of a reserve unit in Austin, where he attended monthly drills and spent six weeks in the summer with his unit. Meadows graduated from TTU with a degree in business in four years and attended one session of summer school. He then was commissioned as an officer and attended a two-year program in flight school. During that time, Meadows was stationed in Pensacola, Florida and Corpus Christi.

Following flight school, Meadows was stationed at Camp Pendleton for more than five years and flew Huey helicopters. In November of 2008 Captain Meadows was assigned to a special forces team unrelated to flying. Meadows and his wife, Angela of Carlsbad, Calif., were expecting their first child in just a few weeks. Meadows is the son of Jan and the late Robert Meadows of Elgin. He is survived by one sister, Erin Meadows, of Monument, Colorado.

Everyone who knew Capt. Meadows considered him a friend. He was a devout Christian and always had a sincere smile on his face. His friends described him as the kind of person everyone should strive to be. Meadows will always be remembered as a true hero who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for what he believed in.

Friends of the Meadows family are encouraging all citizens and businesses in Elgin to display flags at half-mast and/or red, white and blue ribbons, especially on the main roads, in honor of fallen hometown hero, U.S. Marine Captain Joshua S. Meadows.

Governor Rick Perry has granted approval for the entire community to fly flags at half-mast from now until September 12. Due to the observance of Patriot's Day, Friday, September 11, flags should return to full mast on Saturday, September 11. Flags may be lowered again on the day of interment once the date of the memorial service is set by the family.

Watch this site for updates as more information comes available.

http://www.elgincourier.com/articles...ews/news00.txt
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Would someone be able to give me a mailing address for Captain Meadows' wife and mother so fellow Marine Moms could send a condolence card? I tried calling the Judge, but his voice mail is full.

I would like to offer my sincere and heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Captain Meadows. I fell to my knees in tears and began praying immediately for Joshua's wife and soon-to-be born baby. I pray God's arms of protection and healing surround each family member and friend as you cling close to Him for strength.

Patti.K
PMM x 2
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Captain Joshua Stewart Meadows, 30, of Carlsbad, California, died Saturday, September 5, 2009 in Afghanistan.

Services will be held Tuesday, September 15, 2009, in Midland, Texas, under the direction of Ross Funeral Home in Sterling City and Nalley Pickle Funeral Home in Midland, for family and close friends. Services will be held at the Commemorative Air Force Museum, George Bush Hanger, 9600 Wright Drive, Midland, Texas.

Survivors include his wife, Angela Foster Meadows; mother, Jan Meadows; sister, Erin Meadows of Elgin, Texas.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarpatti.k View Post
Would someone be able to give me a mailing address for Captain Meadows' wife and mother so fellow Marine Moms could send a condolence card? I tried calling the Judge, but his voice mail is full.

I would like to offer my sincere and heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Captain Meadows. I fell to my knees in tears and began praying immediately for Joshua's wife and soon-to-be born baby. I pray God's arms of protection and healing surround each family member and friend as you cling close to Him for strength.

Patti.K
PMM x 2

Angela Meadows

C/O Mrs. Debbie Foster

2011 South County Road 1120

Midland, TX 79706
Old 09-25-2009, 05:46 PM

address reply

Joshua Meadows wife Anegla's address is 6939 Sandcastle Dr, Carlsbad Ca 92011. I sent condolences as my son was killed july 30 and his wife of 8 mos is expecting in late jan. I did not know she was also expecting.

Tags
oef