Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Talking Junk on the Bunk

Anyone remember these inspections (see attached pic)?

I found the pic while going through my footlocker. It was a hand out they gave us to use as a guide.

I hated those Junk on the Bunk inspections. In fact scrawled in the margin of my handout with a magic marker was "September 1, 1963!!!" That was the date of my separation from active duty. Guess those Junk on the Bunks really brought out the longing for civilian life in me!

Semper Fi.

- LarSim
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 AM

Talking Junk on the Bunk (2)

Picture number 2, Junk on the Bunk with rifle and field gear.

- LarSim
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Didn't we call them...

CG inspections?

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 02-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Talking CG inspections?

Not in my day. Commanding General (CG) inspections could range from Junk on the Bunks in the barracks to rifle inspections on the parade grounds to a cursory walk through of the barracks and work spaces.

- LarSim
Old 10-18-2007, 05:33 PM

Junk on the bunk...

Yep:
Things on the springs,CG's,and IG's.Going on float was a relief...
S/F
Tim.
Aug- Nov,1964, Plt. 380
Honor Platoon
Amtracs
YATYAS

Last edited by packy46; 10-18-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:12 PM

Junk on the bunk

Yup, I used to hate them also. I see that you also had a pair of "Boondockers". I happened to be issued a battlejacket also. Anyone remember those. Never had Herringbone utilities. We would kill for a pair! I remember the CG inspections and wouldn't you know, everytime we had one they would announce that if you went to the Red Cross and gave blood you could skip the CG and dismissed for the day. Every time we had a CG there we all went to go give blood.DUH!
Sparky 60-64
Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Cool I don't know if the Corps still does it but.....

back in the 50's & 60's, uniforms items that were being phased out ended up at the recruit depots. In some cases, new Marines were issued uniforms that had been phased out by the Corps prior to getting their initial sea bag issue. I ended up with a Battle Jacket and one set of Herringbone Utilities. It caused me a lot of grief at my first duty station which was Marine Barracks Norfolk. My CO finally authorized a clothing allotment for me to get current issue for duty. But, I was told I still had to keep my original seabag issue for JOTB inspections. I was told I could wear my Battle Jacket on base when I wasn't on duty but could not wear it off base when in uniform. I could wear my Herringbone Utilities for work details and PT but couldn't wear them when utilities were Uniform of the Day for a guard post. I've gotta say those Herringbone Utilities wore like iron. I still had them when I got out.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM

If you had the money and a car

Some would have utilities, socks, skivvies, boots and emblems/chevrons just for inspections. Haul all the everyday stuff out to the trunk of their car or a buddy's car and lay out the good stuff. Did ya ever run into anyone who did like to stand a junk on the bunk?

Oderint dum metuant
Let them hate, so long as they fear.
--Caligula
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hmmm.....

herringbone utilities.... would that be like the ones in this picture???
Attached Images

Last edited by cmyr; 12-23-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Cool Yup! Dat be dem!

One thing I will say is they outlasted the new utilities that replaced them. Since, in my case I could not wear them for post or inspection, I probably wore them more than the newer utilities because they allowed me to wear them for work details, around the barracks and in the field. I still had those HB utilities 4 years later when I got out.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 AM
LinkinMall

Re: Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally posted by cmyr
herringbone utilities.... would that be like the ones in this picture???
Thank you for the picture. Are the Sergeant stripes stenciled onto the material, sewn on the material directly, or sewed on as a patch? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Good question.

I wasn't around back in '51, but from looking closely at the pucker of fabric between the first and second stripe on the right sleeve, it looks as if the three stripes are either stenciled on or there are three individual stripes sewn on the sleeve.

The chevrons in this second picture look like a stencil.

Last edited by cmyr; 12-25-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Talking Herringbone utilities...

in the "Old Corps" in some photos I've seen had Marines with stenciled enlisted rank insignia. It might have been atypical however (it sure would be a pain in the butt if you got busted ). I suspect that rank insignia wasn't worn at all on utilities when in the field.

All of the photos I glanced at in an old Marine Corps "Guidebook for Marines" (1956) I have don't show any rank at all on all those depicted wearing utilities. No stenciled enlisted rank insignia at all.

Might be that a Marine's rank generally wasn't worn on utilities. Hell, you knew who was who in your squad, no need to broadcast it. Now that I think about it, during World War II and probably Korea too, and in combat in general it probably wasn't/isn't a good idea to be wearing your rank on your sleeve anyways. Makes you a target.

I suspect that was the norm when in the field. No ranks displayed. No patches, no rank insignia, no nothing. Makes sense to me. I wonder if troops in Iraq today wear rank insignia. Be dumb if they did.

Hell, when we were in the field, I knew who my platoon sergeant was and the Marines in my squad knew I was a Corporal and I knew who the L/Cpls, Pfcs, and Pvts in my squad were (at that level individuals meant more than rank). We didn't need rank insignia. Rank insignia is for display in the world, not in the field and certainly not in combat.

- LarSim
Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Here's the scoop from one who was there. Ranks were stenciled on the sleeves as shown in the foto. When you got promoted, it was pretty difficult, almost impossible, to add the new stripe correctly. The new stripe would almost always look out of proportion. It was easier to get new utilities and stencil the new rank. Prior to 1950 we didn't have to buy our uniforms so cost was not a concern. When an item became frayed or otherwise unserviceable we just turned in the item to quartermaster and got a replacement. Everything including skivvies and socks. Life was good. Many also stenciled or wrote their names on the back of the jacket. We had to black that out when we got to Korea in 1950. By the way, I still have a herring-bone cover. I wear it to our Marine Corps League picnics and other functions where others can 'ooohhh and aaahhh' over it.

Last edited by GunnySan; 05-01-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Regarding Junk on the Bunk

That was always a big headache. many people could get tripped up. I remember one glorious incident. I was Battery GySgt. We had set up for inspection by the Regt. C.O. I had lined up all the bunks and items using string stretched down the squadbay. It was beautiful. Here comes the Battery XO, a very 'respected' 1stLt. He takes one look and tells me the canteens and cups as well as the bayonets are reversed. I politely informed him they were correct, he insisted, so I instructed all hands to change them. The colonel comes in, looks at the first bunk and asks me why the display is incorrect. I replied that it was how we were ordered to lay out the gear. He asked who ordered it, I told him the Btry. XO. He referred the Lt. to the pictures on the inside of each footlocker. He stated the battery was not prepared and he would return later to inspect.
I was pleased the jerk had been humiliated, but I was pissed my troops had to stand around for another couple of hours.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator

There should be a rule,

NO young 2nd, or 1st LT for that fact should have the right to correct a Gunny. Well there is ONE exception, a Mustang LT. Gunnys have alwas were God too the troops.

Junk on the bunk, what memories of standing at attention at the end of your rack waiting for your turn. I can remember thinking, DON'T stop at my position, nod and move on. I would sweat the general orders questions, knowing I'd forget one of them.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 AM

In the wing we did them Different. They set up hanger bars in the aircraft hanger and the select junkers set up in the hanger. I did it 3 times and got noteworthy all 3 times....
Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM

Hanger bars ? What are those?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 AM

Junk on the bunk

I remember around 1960 there were so many Generals getting promated faster than the enlisted men. Which meant change of commanding Generals, which meant every unit was inspected.
We were getting so many JOBs, that it seemed like my sleeping area was the deck. Setting up a good display took time so we slept on the floor.
I had the display memorized so that I didn't even have to look at a picture.
I loved for the IG to come around. It was the only time we could pitch a bitch and have someone listen to us.
BTW, it was about the only time we had tablecloths and descent chow. When the IGs left, it was back to the same old garbage.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Administrator

For us 1960's Marines,

we were allowed to have TWO sets of cloths. One for using and the other for inspections. I always had my stuff ready for any surprise inspections.