Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Communications [Main Page] > Enlisted Club

Enlisted Club [Main Page]
As any Marine who has tipped a beer in one of the base clubs knows ANYTHING can and usually does happen at an Enlisted Club.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM

joe
just saw your post about bootcamp and realized you are only about 20 minutes from me. I live in Bakersfield about a mile and a half from the reserve center is this the bulk fuel unit you were with. I was supposed to go to bootcamp in June 65 but was held up until more people joined so I ended up arriving in MCRD SD on July 2, 1965-Sept 21,1965 I was in platoon 346, kilo co,3rd batt rtr. I lived in the quonset huts behind 3rd batt mess hall (close to the little grinder) would like to talk more if you wish.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Thumbs up Great thread!

I'm glad I started this a year ago this month! Very interesting comments. A lot of history here. May be material for a book some day! One thing is for sure.....boot camp in the 60s was a whole lot different than todays boot camp! Semper Fi Marines!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Whatcha trying to say Namvet?

Marines got it easier today than we did in the 60's.....NO SHIT Marine.
Ohhhhhh the blanket parts, the slap to the back of the head for MOVING YOUR EYES while in the chow line.....How'd they do that anyways.
NEVER could figure out how those damn DI's KNEW I had moved my headballs. Got tired of staring into the back of someones head for to long and had to move them SIIIIIIIR!!

I think back and laugh at that shit, but also being so scared I thought I'd never make it through boot camp. Sure glad I can laugh at it today, cause I didn't think I ever could back then.

Oh the memories....

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 07-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

IF there had been salt peter..

That would have the least of our worries. Getting the shit kicked out of us was more at the top of the list of those things one needs to worry about.
Running with gear and falling out of formation was another thought that gave us chills.
Full Metal Jacket simply touched on the subject as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:27 AM

Hollis and Cpl Miller

Amen! I too was told the story about the salt peter! Not true just a myth!!! Yep I am saying boot camp was much much more difficult in the 60s. Have talked to several Drill Instuctors and they agree with me. What do you say about that Hollis? You were a Drill Instructor in the late 60s and early 70s. You trained a lot of recruits for Nam! So was boot camp different then now now? Did ya put your hands on the recruits? Did ya tell any they were gonna die in Nam? Semper Fi
Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator

BEFORE Hollis responds....

let me add one more thing for those that are reading this thread.

Boot camp is/was tuff for anyone going through it, it's meant to be that way or anyone could be a Marine.
During the early 60's and am sure before that time boot camp was NOT an experience anyone would enjoy. The phisical and mental challenge is no walk in the park. There was one generic feeling among us recruits that I will never forget.

IF getting our asses handed to us on a daily bases, running until you thought you'd die, having a DI nose to nose with you was what it took to EARN the title US Marine, then that's what we were going to do. Those that didn't make it through boot camp for the most part didn't or couldn't understand that.

No matter WHAT the DI'S did to us, WE were going to take it, and take it like a team....... Marines are NOT about some freak'en Army of ONE, we are a TEAM, WE are a brotherhood, a brotherhood bond that can NEVER be broken.

Enough said.................

Carry On Marines!!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM

Why Boot Camp?

It is a well know fact that boot camp is a time for the Corps to find out if ya got it or you don't! It is a time to take the civilian out of you and break you down to the point that you are really not sure who you are. The process takes longer for some and less for others. If the Corps can't find a way to break you then you will be issued your walking papers to go back to where ever you came from. Marines act on orders and do not hesitate or even think about the order. Trust is instilled in you from the beginning that if the order is given it must have been well thought out and there is no reason to think about it. Your leaders will do the thinking for you untill such time you can think on your on. At that point the rebuilding process begins. You learn that you are part of a team and you act together all the time for the good of your brothers and the Corps. Yes...some orders may result in the end of your life but....maybe so someone else may live and complete the mission. This is how a Marine thinks and this is what sets us apart from other branches of military service. Killing machine? Yes! Semper Fi
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks Hollis

Short and to the point. I'm sure there are plenty of your recruits out there that would like to find you and say thanks for what you taught them. Must make you proud to make a Marine out of what you had to work with. You don't appreciate your Drill Instructor until years later. Must have been a tough job. Semper fi
Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 AM

How tough was boot camp?

How tough? Toughest thing in my life. Period!
I jointed in Oct 60, arrived Diego and the dam corps had not gotten enough suckers like me to join, so I lived in receiving barracks until Feb 5, 1961. How would you like to live in receiving barracks for 4 plus months? Standing at attention outside the dam door from 5.30 am till 8am, then breakfast, then shining all that dam brass and copper in the HUGE head for all these stupid ass di's and brass butts. Cleaning that dam concrete floor from one end to the other TWICE a day with a dam toothbrush! Man, the things those assholes made me do. Christmas day, scrubbing the dam windows of every office, while they were home eating a great meal with their families.
BUT I LEARNED !!!
Then 13 weeks of holy hell and then 6 weeks of ITR .
How tough was it? I would not go back and do it for 1 BILLION dollars, BUT I would not take 100BILION for the education.
Hit on every part of my body with swagger sticks, beat on every inch with the black belts, done enough pushups for 10 platoons, pullups for 20. Ate more sand than the dam san fleas. Got my ass kicked by every DI pugil stick lover in diego.
First day, we line up by height, DI R.D. AMOS is 5ft8in, 195 lbs of pure grit, old salt, around 30ish. We line up by height, Im 5ft 4in , 135 lbs of pure shit. H.L. HUNT recruit from Houston Texas is 6ft2in, 235 lbs football hero with two front teeth out. Sgt Amos stand in front of him, "Whats your name maggot and where you from?"
Hunt replies, "sir Hunt, H.L. from Texas"
Sgt amos "My gd sorry ass wife who I loved more than life, ran off with a gd Texan, get down and give me 100"
Gets to me , light years later it seems, I say, sir "________ (now I am from dallas, tex , so get this" I am from Ohio sir. "

Best dam decision I made in boot camp!
Old 08-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

HOT DAMN DOG!!

YOU was in MY platoon in boot camp in Diego. 1964 was no different than 1960. Damn DI's was pure hell on two freak'en legs.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 PM

In the 50s they could beat the crap out of You in P.I. I got knocked down by a big Indian D.I. for eye balling while at attention in front of my bunk.
They did get pissed when recruits at P.I.drowned in Ribbon Creek.
We had Congressmen all over P.I. asking if anyone has been harassing or hitting us? We all answered NO, heck I only got hit and kicked twice.
Many D.I. were Alki's, they would close up the bars and come in at 3:00 and harass the crap out of us.
But I survived "PERISH ISLAND", as we use to call it.
Semper Fi. Ken
Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM

Ken

So ya got hit by a DI? So you were in boot in the 50s? Wasn't much different in the 60s. Alcohol ya think was the problem...doubt that Marine. Sure we knew when our DIs had a hang over and we knew that day was gonna be tough. Never ever saw a DI report to duty while intoxicated. Only time a private (recruit) got hit was when he fucked up! Do everything right and ya don't get hit......well....we ain't perfect! S/F Gary
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 AM

Well, I guess it is all in your perspective. At the time, I was miserable not because the DI s were abusive but because I was a kid away from "MY MAMA" for the first time. LOL, constantly being told to forget my "hog" (not a Harley then) cause she was out with "Jody" probably didn't hurt either.

Worst happened to me, one of my DIs kinda shredded a rolled up newspaper on my cheeks for laughing when he made the Platoon screwup put on a pair of panties. Abuse? I don't know, it wasn't as PC then and I still laugh about it today. The fact that I can't remember which DI did this to me to this day (41 years later) says alot about it too.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Cool I doub't the Marine Corps will ever be totally "PC"!

Many of today's recruits can relate incidents that would not be considered "PC" by media standards. The reason you don't hear about those incidents is the prime focus of a recruit at Parris Island or San Diego is to become a Marine and they mostly accept anything a DI puts them through.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

The experience of boot camp..

can, and will be different for each of us. Some may remember their experiences that differ from others, but we each have our stories.

As I write a book about my experience I keep hearing the wife in the background saying, "honey, be as truthful as your memory will let you, and did this REALLY happen this way"?

Boot camp in 1964 was no cake walk even if it was San Diego for me. But I will say that even though it's been over 40 years for me I remember it as if it happened yesterday, and that includes the smell of the chow hall, or the Canvass tent material that filled the air.

Bottom line, boot camp was tuff for all of us.....

Old 09-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Cool But, you guys were issued sunglasses!

And, who knows what other perks you "Hollywood" Marines got?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM

Talking Sunglasses in bootcamp?

Ya know i have heard that before but when i was in boot from Feb 67 to Apr 67 we were not issued sunglasses! The only glasses that were issued were for those that needed corrected vision. Isn't wearing sunglasses while in uniform against the regs?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Gary

Jacks is just fucking with you Marine. No one received sun glasses at San Diego... PI Marine are just jealous they didn't get to play in the sun and get to SURF on their free time. ha ha

Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 AM

Well, having attended Marine Corps Basic Electronics School and some advanced courses in San Diego, I can assure you the weather and visible "outside world" was more pleasant than sand flea drills at Elliots Beach. Unless they imported humidity and stinging insects, isolated them from the rest of the base and put blinders on the "crunchies" while they drilled, I think they may have been deprived of at least part of the boot camp experience.

Have to admit though, watching the drilling from a comfortable position and being able to appreciate, from outside the whirlwind, the finer points of Drill Instructing with a cool drink in hand, was amusing even if the weather was conducive to a tan.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Roger

Cpl Miller.....hell who knows about the sun glasses. Each platoon was different. The PI vs SD saga will never die. I don't know what is worse.....PI where ya got the sand fleas and never see the outside world until you graduate OR....SD where you always see the outside world and watch the big birds coming and going every day and the squids across the way getting up later and going in earlier and the bus trips to pendleton etc. I do know this...when we got Nam it was not a issueif you were PI or Hollywood....Amen!