Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Communications [Main Page] > Enlisted Club

Enlisted Club [Main Page]
As any Marine who has tipped a beer in one of the base clubs knows ANYTHING can and usually does happen at an Enlisted Club.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-2006, 10:30 AM

More mentailly tough than physically, ITS was a mother though. I remeber getting called into the ITS SgtMaj's office the day before graduation about an incident that happened the first weekend we got there.

What happened was the instructors trashed the squadbays. We were still in the quanset huts at Geiger. On a Saturday morning a couple of the troop handles came in and trashed the place because we didn't clean it good enough.

Well any way one of the young Marines wrote it as a complaint on an outgoing survey. There was about 10 of us that got called in, the ones selected for barracks or sea duty. the SgtMaj starts yelling and threating to hold our orders if we don't tell him about the abuse that is happening because we don't train like this in today's ITS.

We all look at each other and we have no freakin' idea of what he is talking about. At that time I did have no idea. Well back in the squadbay the marine that made the allegation refreshed our memories about the incident. The reply from the rest of us was hell that type of stuff happened everyday in bootcamp. I guess you went to a kinder bootcamp than the rest of us. He was in 1st Bn at Parris Island.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM

how tough?

it was tough physically and mentally. we had desert shield starting up and the build up so the nbc clases and weapons were stressed hard i was on parris island at 3rd batt. It seemed to me the most of the ones that we lost were the ones that really did belong any way. and then had a few that got sick. We did pugil and boxing and the old line training. But at the end of the 12 weeks if ya wanted it you earned the title.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:25 AM

how tough?

it was tough physically and mentally. we had desert shield starting up and the build up so the nbc clases and weapons were stressed hard i was on parris island at 3rd batt. It seemed to me the most of the ones that we lost were the ones that really did belong any way. and then had a few that got sick. We did pugil and boxing and the old line training. But at the end of the 12 weeks if ya wanted it you earned the title.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 AM

Boot Camp

Entered boot camp in Aug of "58" left ITR in Dec of "58" 16 weeks of turning a 139# scrapper in to 165# fighter. It was the best thing that could have happened.

Had no problems with either the physical or mental abuse. In fact a couple of funny experiences. Once the light bulb burnt out in our tent at the rifle range. When I went to get a new one I did the knock 3 times routine. After the third time of the drill instructor saying "I can't hear you" I walked away. With that the DI flew across the field desk knocking it over. He called the private back and asked what I was doing. I stated that if he could not hear me now I would return later on when he could hear me. My dog tags are still inprinted on my chest.

Because of the length limitation I will hold the other story for a later date

Bill
Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 PM

wfa130

Funny story..LOL!! 16 weeks of boot? I only had 8 weeks! Tents? You might be old corps! Semper Fi Marine
Old 09-27-2006, 03:12 AM
Administrator

Cool Hey! !958 ain't "old corps"!

I went through PI in 1958. That wasn't that long ago! My platoon stayed in Quonset huts at the rifle range. Since we were 3rd BN, and our normal quarters were Quonset huts, our platoon had first choice of staying in the comfort of the wood barracks at the rifle range or Quonset huts. Our SDI chose the Quonset huts and said we would let the more delicate recruits of the 1st & 2nd BN's live in comfort!

Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 PM

LONG LONG TIME AGO

I REMEMBER DUCK WALK FOOT LOCKER DRILL AND THE 9.5 LBS. M1

Admiration of the Nation Were the finest ever seen And we glory in the title Of United States Marines.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Cool That M1 Garand was one of the best rifle ever made!

I love to shoot the M1 Garands I have now except I can't get the scores I did 40+ years ago!

Old 10-13-2006, 04:54 PM

THE LAST TIME I FIRED THE M-1 I GOT 9 OUT OF 10 IN THE BLACK FROM 500 YARD'S LOVED THAT OLD M-1

Admiration of the Nation Were the finest ever seen And we glory in the title Of United States Marines.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:21 PM

how tough was boot camp?

I remember it as not being as tough physically as I thought it was going to be. I recall the march to Camp Matthews for the rifle range. We were in tents up there. Matthews had two hills..little agony and big agony. Many evenings we would duck walk up them..and back down. Sometimes quacking all the way. One night I recall an officer at the top of hill obviously checking where all the racket was coming from and I guess approving of the 'drill'.Also for the non qualifiers, they had to put their jackets on backwards and run through the area flapping their arms and yelling I'm a shit bird...I'm a shit bird.l We qualed with the M-1. I too loved that rifle. Leather slings and later in the FMF the long bayonet.
Back at 'dago' we lived in quonset huts next to the grinder. Our Senior DI, SSgt Humphries would fall us out late at night after he had been at the SNCO club. I remember him screaming and yelling at us that if we didn't square away he was going to inflict serious bodily harm on us amongst other things. No one got beat up, but there were incidents of hands on. I got smacked on the butt with the broad side of the sword for looking around with my eyes. Another time at Matthews I had to march with my head staring at the sky because I glanced to watch an airplane fly over.
If I saw one I was ordered to yell 'plane' and the plt. was supposed to hit the deck. That got more than a few remarks from my buddies.
Boot was 12 weeks long I think. That was the summer of 53. Man I am getting old. I wouldn't trade that time in my life for anything.
Semper Fi troops!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Does the sound of PINNNNNNG

bring back any memories for you old farts? ha ha

ME, I prefer the M-14 which Jack and I have talked about many times. You guys had 8 lousy rounds before the ping sound. ME, I had 20 rounds with NO ping at the end, just a bolt that stayed open.

Although I don't own an M-14 (can't afford the damn thing), I do have one great Garand I love to shoot. My garand was made in 12 of 1953.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Unhappy Sadly, the supply of Garands is drying up!

It's getting harder to get a decent one out of the CMP.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:59 PM

How tough boot camp?

I went through in the fall of '68.I believe it was 11 weeks.Afterward we went to itr.Then home.After I came back from Nam and Santa Ana,I was sent to D.I.School.My first platoon through was like 8 weeks and they lengthened it to include ITR in the Boot camp realm.This was in late'71.What I got out of boot camp and being a D.I.,I came to realize that boot camp was your easiest time on the Corps.The D.I. did most of your thinking for you.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Talking Boot Camp...

12-weeks?

I did 15-weeks of Boot Camp at Parris Island: 12-weeks of training, 1-week set back because of a hurricane passing through the area that suspended training (a couple of days weathering the storm, the rest of the week cleaning up), then 1-week of mess duty, and then 1-week of guard duty (mostly guarding structures on PI that were damaged by the hurricane).

Personally I thought ITR (Infantry training) was the nuts. That's when we did "Marine Stuff" i.e. shooting at things, blowing up stuff, snooping and pooping, etc. Very little drill at ITR if I remember right. Camp Geiger sucked however.

Four weeks of training at ITR with a one week field exercise. We had pouring rain for three out of the five days of the field exercise. The high point of the exercise was our one hot meal, breakfast, at an outdoor field kitchen. Rain in your eggs, who of thought? Eat quick or have cold egg soup for breakfast.

Semper Fi.

- LarSim
Old 11-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Talking The M1 Garand...

The trickiest part of qualifying with the M1 was the rapid fire sequences.

The rapid fire sequences required 10-rounds. This meant loading your M1 with a clip and 2-rounds as well as a clip and 8-rounds. Loading your M1 with a clip and 2-rounds with a clip made for 8-rounds with limited time was an interesting exercise in manual dexterity.

- LarSim
Old 11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

I sorta liked rapid fire with the Garand!

I usually fired my best scores in rapid fire.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:51 PM

same hear
Old 11-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Cool Of course, that was over 44 years ago!

Today, I'm just happy if I can get my shots from the Garand in the scoring rings!

Old 11-03-2006, 06:30 PM

i'm jest dam happy that i can shoot and hit ANYTHING
Old 11-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Talk about rapid fire...

I'm in the prone position at the three hundred yard line at the range during boot camp. We're set to fire rapid fire with two mags of 20 rounds each. We get the order to commence firing. I load one mag with 20 rounds in the weapon and get set in position to fire my first round.

Check my breathing, make sure I don't pull wood and squeeze off the first round....at that point everything goes crazy with my weapon as she goes into rapid fire with 19 rounds left and I can't stop the damn thing from firing rounds. I forgot all I had to do was let go of the trigger.

20 rounds later and white flags flying all over the butt area I put the weapon down and roll over on my backside wondering what the hell just happened. Side note, we didn't have selector switches on our weapons in boot camp.

I can't rmember what the DI said to me but know it wasn't good cause I do remember him asking me WHO the hell I was trying to kill in the butt's area? Damn funny now, but wans't so funny back then

Later I found out the sear broke causing the UNLOADING of every round in the weapon.

Years later I purchased an SKS and was told that they have a habit of going full auto (Chinese version) so I only load one round at a time at the range.

Speaking of ranges, I am in the process of teaching my oldest granddaughter (13) how to shoot. She is DEADLY with a Ruger 10/22 on the 125 yard range with a 3X to 9X scope. Next is the SKS, then it's the BIG DADDY GARAND.

Carry On Marines!!

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com