Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Whats your story?

Whats your story? Post experience while in the Corps

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Welcome to what's your story?

Over the years we've received a number of letters and emails from you Marines talking about why you joined the Corps, or your experiences while in the Corps.

With the goal of collecting historical information it was decided to offer you a place where you can talk about those experiences. Hence this new forum......Enjoy

The Yellow Footprints Team

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com

Last edited by Cpl Miller; 04-28-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Sgt Sel Wong

Here is Sgt Sel Wongs story sent to us via snail mail.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Being a 17 year old child in 1975 was some what difficult for me. My Dad was a Navy WW2 Vet and his Brothers were WW2 and Korea Vets. Being the youngest male of 3 brothers and 5 sisters gave me only one choice. Take the ASVAB and see if I could qualify to join the Marines. I wasn't a bad kid and I knew that I would pass the physical requirements with no problem. I was 17. HS grad 5"8 and weighed 137 pounds. My vertical leap was 39 inches. I could run 3 miles in 16:45 and my my test scores was 127. My choice was 0311!! Why you may ask, Because I needed to prove to my Oldest Brothers ( Vietnam Vets) that I could do it. Then again, One was an Army Ranger and the other was Arty. They both did their tours alive but not the brothers I once knew. The Marine Corps in my eyes was in a drastic transition. When I left PI and joined my unit in N.C. I was disgusted with the leadership of the Corps. Then again, I was 17 so what the hell do I know? After 3 years and 3 deployments to the Med. I had orders to Okinawa Japan to serve my last year. Camp Schwab !!! I put up my Freedom Bird calender and counted off the minutes,hours and days!!! One day I was in the swimming pool jumping off the platform and someone yelled at me!!! It was my old Plt. Sgt. Gy Sgt Peters. ( Vietnam Vet) my mentor. He was an African American 5 ft 5 inches tall on a good day! He asked me if I would like to deploy again to Asia has his right hand man. I was 20 years old with three Meds. and a East Coast Marine. Some of you can understand that Hollywood and Parris Island is different. Hollywood has the cameras and hills and Parris Island is where it all begins. )) Anyway!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
Being a 17 year old child in 1975 was some what difficult for me. My Dad was a Navy WW2 Vet and his Brothers were WW2 and Korea Vets. Being the youngest male of 3 brothers and 5 sisters gave me only one choice. Take the ASVAB and see if I could qualify to join the Marines. I wasn't a bad kid and I knew that I would pass the physical requirements with no problem. I was 17. HS grad 5"8 and weighed 137 pounds. My vertical leap was 39 inches. I could run 3 miles in 16:45 and my my test scores was 127. My choice was 0311!! Why you may ask, Because I needed to prove to my Oldest Brothers ( Vietnam Vets) that I could do it. Then again, One was an Army Ranger and the other was Arty. They both did their tours alive but not the brothers I once knew. The Marine Corps in my eyes was in a drastic transition. When I left PI and joined my unit in N.C. I was disgusted with the leadership of the Corps. Then again, I was 17 so what the hell do I know? After 3 years and 3 deployments to the Med. I had orders to Okinawa Japan to serve my last year. Camp Schwab !!! I put up my Freedom Bird calender and counted off the minutes,hours and days!!! One day I was in the swimming pool jumping off the platform and someone yelled at me!!! It was my old Plt. Sgt. Gy Sgt Peters. ( Vietnam Vet) my mentor. He was an African American 5 ft 5 inches tall on a good day! He asked me if I would like to deploy again to Asia has his right hand man. I was 20 years old with three Meds. and a East Coast Marine. Some of you can understand that Hollywood and Parris Island is different. Hollywood has the cameras and hills and Parris Island is where it all begins. )) Anyway!!!
I will continue Marines because I need to vent out my story to assist me in my healing. Semper Fi always and TY Cpl. Miller
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM

As we all know in the Corps we have some favorites. After 23 years ( Enlisted) OK!!!! For some you I was a Lifer!!! I don't drink coffee and I have saved more Marines from NJP and Court-martials then I can count. I was sent a email from one of my troops last week who just retired as a Sgt. Major and told me that all the fox holes (fighting Holes) that my Marines had to dig a Barracks replaced them and he placed a stone in for me under the Barracks. I asked if they drank a few beers to celebrate this occasion and he just said Semper Fi!!! That was enough!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Moving on Marines!!!! Asia was a great tour for me!!!! I was part of the Inspectors General Team just moving on. After my tour in Okinawa I reenlisted as a Sgt. and moved on to Security Forces ( Barracks Duty) in NLON Ct. Sub Base.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:12 AM
Snoopy69

Smells like a book is in the making here but it to a vote. I know I have tried to write my story down for many years but I found it very difficult to do so in a book form however, small parts from all who do this a book could be made and proceeds to go the site and to wounded warriors project; just thinking out loud.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Keep thinking out load, your on a good track. To be able to put together such a book would require a lot more stories on the members part.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Has anyone seen this guy?

This guy is wondering around trying to find Marine stories that he can read. The only problem is that he does not know how to read yet. He enlisted into our Corps but they would not let him get sworn in or give him a uniform for some reason.

I think Cpl Miller had something to do with it.
Attached Images

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Administrator

My only question is, how in the heck did he get a copy of YOUR picture sir?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
Keep thinking out load, your on a good track. To be able to put together such a book would require a lot more stories on the members part.
CPL. Miller, you could contact Greg Stoner, lives in S.D, CA. He can be contacted through "SIXTGuner"'s website "halls of monteuma'. He took a bunch of stories from the Members there and converted them into a book., titled - 'ECHOS FROM THE HALL'. I know that he said it a available on Amazon.

Richard "devildog-64012'

PS. I contributed a story for the book about a Wild C130 landing in the dark onto the Runway at PHU BAI RVN.
MCL KC Det#766 - SGT-at-ARMS
MOS's4065/4063(First MOS 5541)
Old 12-24-2015, 02:13 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Thumbs up

It was the night before Christmas. Not a sound could be heard. When out of the clouds and the dark of night came a big hunk of white hair on the most handsome Marine you should ever expect to see. He gathered everyone around the campfire with their canteen cups in hand. He raised his cup to the stars and with the softest voice you would ever want to hear said I give a toast to all of those that can not be here. Bless those that have gone before me and those I know will follow in my foot steps. With that he drank his cup empty and tossed it into the night. Semper Fi Marines and with that a good night.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 12-25-2015, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Merry Christmas Major.....I hope you and your's have a wonderful day.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Joining In

Greetings and thank you letting me join another fine organization. As Fmr Marine and presently a member of the Marine Corp League Post 1249 as their Senior Vice Commandant, I enlisted in the Marine Corp in late 1985 after graduating from High School, graduated from boot camp in MCRD San Diego 13 June 1986. MOS 3011, Infantryman and served with the 1st BN 5th Marines Bravo CO. 2nd platoon. And I'm searching for a photo copy or somehow get in touch with someone who I can acquire a "Platoon 3037" graduating class of 13 June 1986 from bootcamp. Fellow Marines thank you all again for letting join your ranks within Yellow Footprints, Semper Fi and Merry Christmas to all
Rudy Gonzalez
Old 12-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Here ya go Rudy...a place in history. By the way you can post your contact information (email address only please) it you want.

http://www.yellowfootprints.com/year...y.php/cat/1159

Admin

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970

Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 AM

I joined the Corps in Aug 1960 went to MCRDSD to Platoon 276.
After graduation ITR, went to L/3/5 at Camp San Mateo and then to Camp Margarita after boot leave in January 1961.
Around August 1961, we went to Okinawa as 3/9. Went as Float Batallion in 1962 and were sent to Thailand as show of force during Laotian Crisis. Stayed in Thailand for four months running patrols. No combat.
In 1962 returned to the States and sent to C/1/5 until 1963, then to MCSD Barstow until discharge on Aug 1964.
In 1960, joined D Company USMCR Albuquerque. It was an infantry company and re designated as Recon. Served for 6 years leaving Reserves for a Federal job.
Attained rank of Sgt E-5.