Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 AM

Regarding the short sleeve shirt. I was on Okinawa 61-62 and wore the short sleeve. I know because I had to change at least a couple of times a day. Humidity, you know. I kept about six or seven.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

GunnySan..... Was that the current short sleeve shirt or was it the old cotton Khaki short sleeve shirt? I believe they list the current shirt as a "Khaki Shirt" but it is closer to the tropical shirt we used to have. The old Khaki shirt was cotten and you had them starched. No military creases. Many Marines had them tailored as they were pretty broad in the body of the shirt. I also remember that Staff NCO's and Officers wore a Khaki shirt that was only about 60-70% cotton and looked a lot better than the standard Enlisted issue.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 PM

JITB,
To tell the truth, I don't recall which I wore at the time. I do remember the standard starched short sleeve. It was of better material than the old pre-1952 khaki. That was probably it though. I recall initially feeling uncomfortable and unmilitary in short sleeves. Yes, SNCOs and officers always have had access to better quality. Years ago, as SSgt (E5), I wore the Officer Summer Dress on leave/liberty. That was complete with the blouse, but without the Quatre-Foil on the cover. In fact, I believe it is still authorized. Hot as hell, though. That blouse was heavily lined.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I've been doing some searching. I didn't actually find when the Corps did away with the cotton Khaki and tropical uniforms but I did find references by Marines that wore them until the mid 1970's. It looks like the Corps did away with both uniforms about 1976 or shortly after that.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM

Agreed, these Sgts need to learn how to march. It is 6 to the front 3 to the rear and I ain't talkin about feet gentlemen.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:14 AM

all I remember about the drill grinder was
Lean back and strut strut strut and
hippity hop horrible m------------- mob stop!
that was when DIs still used potty mouth

the Trops were the best uniform ever - nobody wore those horrible khakis
Old 10-30-2009, 04:22 AM

Don't think you can graduate from boot camp a LCpl! When the hell did that happen?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Often, the Honor Recruit gets LCPL stripes.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 AM
Administrator

In one of the platoons in our Series Graduation in 1958, we had a recruit that graduated as a Staff Sergeant! He had been an Army Ranger that had joined the Army during the Korean War. When he came up for re-enlistment in the Army, he decided to get out and join the Marines Corps. His DI's were tough on him. He went through more hell than any other recruit in the series. Although he was a Staff Sergeant in the Army, his deal with the Corps was to go down one paygrade after graduation from boot camp. It turned out he was selected as the Honor Recruit. That got him a set of dress blues and another stripe.

He was a sight to see at graduation. Most visitors thought he must be a Drill Instructor. His uniform out classed most of the DI's! There he stood with more ribbons than any of the DI's, a couple of hashmarks and an Army Combat Parachutist Badge. I met him a couple of years later at Lejeune. He was now a Master Sergeant and told me joining the Corps was the best decision he ever made. He planned to stay in the Corps until he was forced into retirement.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:34 AM

Back in 65, our platoon's honor graduate made PFC and when I met him again at Quantico he was in SDT(Schools Demonstartion Troops) and a Sgt. Later, while reading books about Marine Recon I came across his name as being a Recon team leader and SGT in Dec of '67 at Khe Shan. His quick rise to Sgt may have been because of his 6 years in the British Army as a Parachuter, with service in British areas of Southeast Asia/Malay area...
MCL KC Det#766 - SGT-at-ARMS
MOS's4065/4063(First MOS 5541)
Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2621 View Post
Don't think you can graduate from boot camp a LCpl! When the hell did that happen?
we had one who graduated as a L/cpl. at boot camp but he was prior service he had army experience so when he was graduating he had L/cpl's on