Yellow Foot Prints Forums  
 

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > The Polling Booth

The Polling Booth [Main Page]
Join in with your ratings and opinions to posted polls.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2007, 05:21 PM
corky0566's Avatar
corky0566 corky0566 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Daytona, Florida
Posts: 67
Where did I receive basic training?

Parris Island, South Carolina 1858183
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:08 PM
packy46's Avatar
packy46 packy46 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma WA.
Posts: 69
Boot Camp

MCRD San Diego, Plt 380, Honor Platoon
Aug 26, 1964- Nov 27, 1964
Drill Instructors:
Sgt. A.J. Teson,Cpl.T. G. Jones,Cpl. D.C. Fisher.

Last edited by packy46; 10-14-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2007, 06:24 AM
corky0566's Avatar
corky0566 corky0566 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Daytona, Florida
Posts: 67
Boot Camp

To help MARINE buddies, find out their graduation date at MCRD San Diego and Parris Island, we need every MARINE to post their platoon number and grad date if at all possible. Never know, we just might make contact with some lost MARINE looking for his buddies. Grandle Starling plt 207 April 29, 1959 Parris Island. Senior D.I. Bill Scaplehorn
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2011, 10:59 AM
jbarr74 jbarr74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florence, Kentucky
Posts: 1
Plt 131 Parris Island 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky0566 View Post
To help MARINE buddies, find out their graduation date at MCRD San Diego and Parris Island, we need every MARINE to post their platoon number and grad date if at all possible. Never know, we just might make contact with some lost MARINE looking for his buddies. Grandle Starling plt 207 April 29, 1959 Parris Island. Senior D.I. Bill Scaplehorn
I am a member of Plt 131 Parris Island SC 1962 Graduation pic July 20, 1962 and have sent in a platoon photo I also have a platoon graduation book, which unfortunately I can't let go of but am willing to fwd photo pages from the book per request. Di's SSGT Atkinson, Sgt Brennan, Cpl Flood and for a brief period of time Cpl Sullivan. Would like to hear from any of the Plt members or Drill Instructors. I was I for a period of 10 1/2 years. Retired as a SSGT

Semper Fi
Jim Barr
jimbarr@zoomtown.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 AM
marinerefuler marinerefuler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: sorrento fl
Posts: 5
MCRD
PARRIS IS. feb 13 may1 1963.DI's were sgt winde cpl bailey and cpl mertz,looking for book plt.111
semer fi
cpl mawson 1391
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM
awchris
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Boot Camp

MCRD 1St. Battalion Platoon 1079
27Jun1972 - 29Sept1972
Platoon Commander - Sgt. Trudo
DI's - Sgt. Pennigton/Sgt. Burrell
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Cpl Miller's Avatar
Cpl Miller Cpl Miller is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 2,548
It's great to see all you Marines.

So now comes the question, WHERE are those boot camp graduation books? We can't get you into the historic database without scanned copies of your books..

Email your books to; gmiller@yellowfootprints.com



Carry On Marines!!
__________________
Semper Fi

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
BuckStripes BuckStripes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: DeLand, Florida
Posts: 28
Posting Your USMC Serial Numbers

...Probably not a good idea, Ladies. Id theft is abroad in the land, and who knows what misery might result from some turdbird impersonating you...
...Lovely Parris Isle did me from August to November, 1951. And you expect me to remember the platoon number?
...Okay, I'll dig through the musty-yellowed archives and see can I find it--someday, I will. Maybe...
...Boot Camp Graduation Books? Never heard of such a thing, till I snuck aboard here. Got a hunch they weren't around back then in pre-history...
...But somebody can correct me, if I'm wrong--which only happens every decade or so. Unless I'm wrong about that too...
__________________
Buck...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Cpl Miller's Avatar
Cpl Miller Cpl Miller is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 2,548
As you can see Buckstrips...

Our database is full of graduation books going back to the early 50's. Now did they have graduation books back when God first put Marines on land like yourself...God only knows..yuk yuk yuk
__________________
Semper Fi

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM
corky0566's Avatar
corky0566 corky0566 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Daytona, Florida
Posts: 67
Early 50's Platoon Book?

Don't know but will ask old MARINE friend who went thru P.I. back in 1949. I shore hope he has one, so I can send it in to Cpl. Miller and have it scanned.

Grandle Starling
South Daytona, Fl

And, oh by the way, Gary...Had an opportunity to send my book back? Would like to send in Jeff's book from 1990!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Cpl Miller's Avatar
Cpl Miller Cpl Miller is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 2,548
corky0566

We have a shipment of books going out this Saturday, and your's is among the group going out.

Gary
__________________
Semper Fi

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
corky0566's Avatar
corky0566 corky0566 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Daytona, Florida
Posts: 67
Re: Posting Your USMC Serial Numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by BuckStripes
...Probably not a good idea, Ladies. Id theft is abroad in the land, and who knows what misery might result from some turdbird impersonating you...
...Lovely Parris Isle did me from August to November, 1951. And you expect me to remember the platoon number?
...Okay, I'll dig through the musty-yellowed archives and see can I find it--someday, I will. Maybe...
...Boot Camp Graduation Books? Never heard of such a thing, till I snuck aboard here. Got a hunch they weren't around back then in pre-history...
...But somebody can correct me, if I'm wrong--which only happens every decade or so. Unless I'm wrong about that too...
Yo Buckstripes!

As a Old Salt MARINE, you were issued a military serial number, and so was I, in 1959. Today, the Young MARINES use their social security numbers. Don't think the ID thieves can get much info from our assigned military numbers, but it is good advice by you that no young MARINE give out his S/S # if that is what they use for the MARINES. GOOD HEADS UP INFO. OOOOOHHHRAH!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 PM
terry slota terry slota is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Az
Posts: 12
MCRDSD 14Aug63
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
GunnySan's Avatar
GunnySan GunnySan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
Parris Island
August 1946
Plt 159
Sgt. Benson
Cpl. Sizemore

No"Graduation' books, just a platoon photo. Our question to others back then was 'When did you go through Boot Camp?' or 'When did you get out of Boot camp?'; not 'graduate'. There was no ceremony or other activity to mark the day. We were just told to get our emblems out of our lockerboxes and put them on our pisscutters.

edit-
"Graduation Books" probably started about 1957 or so. I was at MCRD SD in '58 and we held graduation ceremonies at the theater. There were books then. I believe the Josten company produced them. the covers were white background, later red.

Last edited by GunnySan; 11-20-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Marine1955's Avatar
Marine1955 Marine1955 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: S.W. Kansas
Posts: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySan View Post
Parris Island
August 1946
Plt 159
Sgt. Benson
Cpl. Sizemore

No"Graduation' books, just a platoon photo. Our question to others back then was 'When did you go through Boot Camp?' or 'When did you get out of Boot camp?'; not 'graduate'. There was no ceremony or other activity to mark the day. We were just told to get our emblems out of our lockerboxes and put them on our pisscutters.

edit-
"Graduation Books" probably started about 1957 or so. I was at MCRD SD in '58 and we held graduation ceremonies at the theater. There were books then. I believe the Josten company produced them. the covers were white background, later red.
I got a couple Marines from 1943 who had Platoon books from Parris Island and they Live here in S.W. Kansas. Also on the web I found one for sale from 1943 also P.I. just a little F.Y.I.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
GunnySan's Avatar
GunnySan GunnySan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine1955 View Post
I got a couple Marines from 1943 who had Platoon books from Parris Island and they Live here in S.W. Kansas. Also on the web I found one for sale from 1943 also P.I. just a little F.Y.I.
Interesting. Yearbooks must have been a haphazard thing prior to the 50s. My brother enlisted a year after me and I know he didn't have one. It's also possible that the DIs weren't required to push them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Cpl Miller's Avatar
Cpl Miller Cpl Miller is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 2,548
Gunny,

I am not sure they even had platoon graduation books before the 50"s. Of course we know that had platoon pictures but books were another story. The one frustrating thing about the books from the 50's is the lack of dates of graduation.

The lack of dates is why we have so many in the clasification of UNKNOWN MONTH in our database. The only way to even get close to the date of a book is to look at the first few pages where they talk about a base commander being at the base during certain years.
__________________
Semper Fi

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-11-2010, 08:46 AM
GunnySan's Avatar
GunnySan GunnySan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 252
Marine1955

Where on the WEB did you see that book from 1943? Is it possible to post a pic of the cover from one of those 1943 books?. I checked with a buddy of mine who went through MCRDSD in 1947, all he got was a platoon photo.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
jerryd6818's Avatar
jerryd6818 jerryd6818 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
I am not sure they even had platoon graduation books before the 50"s. Of course we know that had platoon pictures but books were another story. The one frustrating thing about the books from the 50's is the lack of dates of graduation.

The lack of dates is why we have so many in the clasification of UNKNOWN MONTH in our database. The only way to even get close to the date of a book is to look at the first few pages where they talk about a base commander being at the base during certain years.
There appear to be a handful of books which were a precursor to the Platoon Books that we all know. I can't speak to those, I've never seen or held one. The Platoon books as we know them were first published in 1950 for Pleasure Island and 1952 for San Diego.

Dates of training were put in the books very sporadically prior to 1962. In 1962 and after, they are in all the books about ¾ of the way back through the book on the first page of individual pictures. This is the page with the platoon number (or later, series number) at the top of the page and pictures of the Battalion command staff & Drill Instructors.

If you have a book that is dated prior to 1950 for MCRD Pleasure Island or 1952 for MCRD San Diego, it is not a platoon book (I'm willing to be proven wrong if you can produce a hard copy, not my uncle's neighbor's brother's cousin has one). Look a little closer. It is one of the following:
Marine Corps Base book (MCAS El Toro, MCB Camp Pendleton, Camp Lejeune, etc)
Marine Corps unit book (24th Marines, Signal Bn., 3rd Marine Div., etc)
Marine Corps officers class book (Reserve Officers class, Platoon Leaders class, etc)
Or a Cruise book (Med. Cruise, WesPac, etc)

Gary -- There is a book in the database that is entered under the 1950 "month unknown - Platoon 288" category. http://www.yellowfootprints.com/year...y.php?cat=2327
It is not. The book (shown here) is from sometime in 1955 - 1958. Those are the only years that cover design was used on the books.

Jerry D.
MCRD San Diego
Platoon 145
28 June 1962 -- 18 September 1962
Platoon Commander - S/Sgt Way - GySgt retired (deceased)
Drill Instructor - Sgt Pacheco (retired as a SgtMaj and still suckin' air in Kansas)
Drill Instructor - Sgt Clark - GySgt retired (deceased)
Drill Instructor - Sgt Broadhead - GySgt retired (deceased)
Attached Images
 
__________________
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

Oderint dum metuant
Let them hate, so long as they fear.
--Caligula
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Cpl Miller's Avatar
Cpl Miller Cpl Miller is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 2,548
Gunny,

We have graduation books on file for Parris Island that go back into the EARLY 50's....just a heads up
__________________
Semper Fi

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where did you receive Basic Training JITB The Polling Booth 43 12-01-2009 09:54 PM
New training focuses on identifying enemies GyBill Announcements/Updates 0 03-02-2008 09:18 PM
Dogs in war receive loyalty, top care GyBill Announcements/Updates 0 08-12-2007 04:12 PM
Marines train for worst-case scenarios at Al Asad MARINE42 Marines Only 0 12-23-2006 11:58 AM
Training Sharpens MEU's Non-Lethal Edge GyBill Announcements/Updates 0 10-23-2006 02:53 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright & Copy 2006-2019, Yellow Foot Prints, All Rights Reserved
You Rated this Thread: