Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Communications [Main Page] > Enlisted Club

Enlisted Club [Main Page]
As any Marine who has tipped a beer in one of the base clubs knows ANYTHING can and usually does happen at an Enlisted Club.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Boot camp..

Boot Camp - Tough, Yep I suppose,but damn I don't think the crucible they have now looks like any picnic.
Amtracs, 12 Wks. Boot. 4 Wks ITR.
S/F
Tim.
Aug- Nov,1964, Plt. 380
Honor Platoon
Amtracs
YATYAS
Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Rifle Range.....

I was an rifle instructor at the range at Lejeune in 67/68.
True story shortened up.
Thurs,Pre qual day, foggy ....
Range Officer, "All ready on the right... All ready on the left ....
All ready on the firing line....
Shooters watch your targets.... Targets....
From the tower comes, CEASE FIRE -- CEASE FIRE,
"DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT"
A six point buck runs past at high port......
Thats right,one each safe deer.
S/F
Tim.
Aug- Nov,1964, Plt. 380
Honor Platoon
Amtracs
YATYAS

Last edited by packy46; 11-02-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Graduated SD in 11/72. Remember "the pit"..."out there havin' fun in the warm California sun"....just when you were soaked in sweat... "I think we're about to have a sandstorm, ladies...Ready, do it!!!"...then squat thrusts til ya die...lovely sand abrasion in every pit, opening, and joint of your body....
My son did PI this summer....they still do it, except FIRST you coat yourself in sunblock, then into the sandbox to PT!!!
Plt 1098 MCRD SD 11/72
AdminClerk Course Pendleton 11-12/72
HQCO HQBN 3MarDiv G-1 Okinawa 73-74
HML-167 MAG-29 2MAW 1974
Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Cool "Squat Thrusts"!! I guess they didn't believe in pain in your era!

When I went through PI in 1958, we did "Squat Jumps". After a few dozen of those, your legs felt like somebody was sawing them off just above the knees. That's when the DI would tell you to do 50 more! If he was mad enough at you, he would make you do them until you lost control of your bladder and bowels. I can remember having to crawl back to my Quonset hut from the DI's Quonset hut because I couldn't stand or walk.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Just think...

our young Marines of today just don't understand what boot camp was like years ago...Lucky for them

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM

We did ITR right after the rifle range, SD Nov72. Have a very clear memory of the SDI, while we are in formation, asking Pvt. Estes if he'd shaved that morning, and having Pvt Estes make the mistake of saying "The Private did not need to shave this morning, sir!" The SDI proceeded to "Slap the whiskers back into" Pvt Estes face...probably 20 or 30 hard, full swing slaps. It hurt to watch it.
We all made sure that we followed the order to "shave closely"...very closely... after that. Negative reinforcement, to be sure...but, it was a very effective learning event. Follow orders quickly, accurately, and completely. Lessons like that probably have saved a Marine or two in combat....
Plt 1098 MCRD SD 11/72
HML-167 MAG-29 2MAW 1974
Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Although I agree...

boot camp should not be easy, or everyone could make it.

As I think back to my transistion in becoming a Marine I remember the phisical experiances I went threw. It wasn't easy during those first four weeks or so. It was hell until you got the hang of things.

I didn't think the hiting part was always needed though.
In the end we ( recruits) felt that IF that's what it took to be a Marine, Bring it on!!

Started our little platoon with 113 guys, graduation day we counted 67. Shiiiiiit, what ever it took, some just did't have it......

The bigger question would be, are todays boot camps creating the kind Marines our nation needs? In my book, HELL YES.

These kids today don't look any different than the kids I was in boot camp with in 1964. We were young too back during our days, Korea, Vet Nam, and we did good....

The Iraq war our young Marines are fighing has provine time and time again, they got their shit together.

Carry On Marines!!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 PM

Oh Damn..........

Squat Jumps.....
Were are my nitro pills!!!
That might just define "Old Corps"
S/F.
Tim
Aug- Nov,1964, Plt. 380
Honor Platoon
Amtracs
YATYAS
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Cool I'm not sure when the Corps outlawed them

But, I think I know why. They gotta fall into the category of "pure torture"! 10 or 20 were bad enough. But DI's used to like to order recruits to give them 50. And, when the recruits forgot to include an extra one for the Corps, they would tell them to give them 50 more.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Jack

Are these the same as squat thrust?

Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Cool Nope!

Squat Thrusts are what the Corps went to in boot camp when it was decided that Squat Jumps were too cruel.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Agree, the pointless abuse was not necessary...we just took it as a rite of passage...
Having just come back from a PI graduation in August (youngest son), I will say Marines still look basically the same physically...however...I think that the Corps definitely has upgraded in terms of the intelligence of the average enlisted Marine. In 72, we had some...shall we say "intellectually challenged" (i.e. dumbest MFs) I have ever met in my platoon! I hope we never go back to that...we should insist on only allowing the most qualified in going forward. I would like to believe that the radio op in my son's outfit is calling in the right coordinates for that air strike, if you get my drift....
Plt 1098 MCRD SD 11/72
HML-167 MAG-29 2MAW 1974
Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Of course, I'm so smart...I posted the same thing twice...sorry!
Plt 1098 MCRD SD 11/72
HML-167 MAG-29 2MAW 1974
Old 11-08-2007, 09:11 AM

Depends

When I was inn boot, Dec 85 to Mar 86, we still had "contact" with Drill Instructors. There were recruits that got hit on occasion, but no one really cared about it. We did have one recruit while in 1st phase that one of the juniors did not care for a Private Crutcher. Crutcher and the Cpl, yes we had a Cpl Drill Instructor, were always butting heads. One day we came back from the thrashing in the pit and making it snow. We were running up the steps to the third deck and the junior was strolling up as only Drill Instructors can. That slow deliberate gate...Ol' Crutcher was running without really looking up, trying to get up that ladderwell as fast as possible, as we all were. The junior saw him coming and deliberately got in his way. Crutcher rans smack into him. The junior hauled off and tagged him (I forget where he hit him though) and Crutcher fell down a few steps. It got up to the Series Commander and the junior got busted to PVT and obviously kicked out of the Drill Field. Then we got a guy nicknamed the Tasmanian Devil. We quickly found out why Sgt Lugo was called that. He was about 5 foot nothing, but a ball of fire with gas being poured on it.

Alsop had a blanket party for this one $hitbird in the platoon. I did not participate out of fear of reprisals by the Corps, but saw a kid get held down by his blanket and clubbed a few times with soap in socks. The kid did not freak out like Full Metal Jacket and kill anyone, but did get his act together.

I did think that boot was more mental than physical, though. Once I set my mind to wanting to do it, which took a few weeks..., I had no problem with the physical part.

We had one private pull a big time stupid. His dad was a Marine Colonel somewhere on base. The dumba$$ decided to split for a while and go see his dad. Miss a roll call. Man, you want to see a few Drill Instructors flip! And it only got worse once the kid came back! I never saw someone get thrashed like this kid did that day. He must have been on the Quarterdeck for an hour!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM

not really that hard

I don't remember Boot being all that tough. (went thu in 81) DI shoved us around a little, once in a while somebody got tagged, but I never got tagged any worse than Dad tagged me. You just had to get used to the idea that life is different in the Corps. I remember us getting into more trouble because of someone laughing than anything else. ITS was far more physically challenging than boot camp.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM

I went to MCRD SD in late December 71. It was brutal. I graduated PFC (a squad leader...which was a hellish job). One DI was particularly bad....he broke several of my ribs when somebody screwed up in my squad when we were at San Onefre ITS. He liked to choke recruits until they blacked out. Years later I heard from one of the other DI's in the series that they had a lot of trouble with him. The other DI's and SDI (they were called 'platoon commanders' back then) didn't mind whacking you if you screwed up....but they were more balanced about it.

They were all 'Nam' veterans then...many with multiple tours, and I think highly motivated about either hardening a recruit into a disciplined mean-ass marine...or breaking you. I just gritted my teeth, and stuck it out through all the "Full Metal Jacket" boot camp reality of that era. I am, however, amused (amazed or incredulous?) when I hear old marines of that time period say they never saw a recruit smacked around during their time as a recruit, and wonder if they were in the same marine corps I experienced.

I don't think it turned out better marines, but the experience sure gave me some survival advantages over the past 35 years.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Boot Camp

I'm with You Crusty. While standing in front of My rack at attention, I got caught "eye balling" by this big Indian DI, He slugged Me and knocked Me down, another time I got kicked.
Boot Camp was pure Hell, At that time We had Congessmen crawling all over the place, because of the Recruits that drowned at Ribbon Creek.
While in formation they asked each of us If anyone was hurting or harrassing us. Being a good Marine, I said "NO SIR"
Any way I got my revenge, while at LeJune, I see this Big Indian
walking guard duty. I thought darn that's Sgt Longchase, which was now a Private. I said HI ASSHOLE.
Some times Life is good.
Ken Rohlff 1626455 56-59
Old 01-12-2008, 06:50 AM

I got to MCRD in Feb.1974 and when I got on the Yellow Foot Prints and S/Sgt came out yelling, I thought to myself oh God I've done F^&%#$ up. But after we left receving and got in step with what the DI wanted. The hurry up and wait was the hardest, because I hated to stand on the parade ground waiting to go into some kind of class it seem we always got to the class about 1 hour to early and we had to be at attention for an hour and the rest is just finish every task and blend in with the green ( blend in with the green is don't F^&* up). At ITR mount M/F was the hardest. When I got to my duty station with the Air Wing at El Toro. I said is was all good. I also met one of DI's at El Toro when he was kicked off the Drill Field and we set at the E-Club and had a few beers and talked about the abuse he gave the platoon, after that talked with him, I really understood why the Marine Corps is the best on everything we do. And if I could do it all over again I would
Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Cool Boo-Hoo! Ya had to wait for an hour on the Parade Deck!

A little over a month into training at PI, our DI came into the squadbay. After everyone jumped to attention and sounded off, he told us "AT ease!" We were dumbfounded! He then told us that the United States had been attacked by the USSR. They had nuked New York, Washington DC and some other major U.S. cities. He said our boot training was being cut short and we were going straight to ITR for Infantry Training and then would deploy to a combat zone. We were told to pack up everything and to fall out onto the parade deck to wait for the buses to pick us up.

We fell out with our rifles, packs and seabags and waited. And, we waited. And then, we waited some more. We saw other platoons going to morning chow. We waited and then saw other platoons going to noon chow! About mid-afternoon, our DI stuck his head out of the window and told us "You idiots get back inside! There's no war!"

Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 AM

boot camp

I went through boot camp in july thru sept 1966.Plt 3069.We didn't have to sign anything.The d.i.'s did say that 50% would not return from Nam,and that alone scared the shit out of alot of the platoon.I did two tours in nam from 3/67 until 12/68.I was proud to be there and I don't regret it one bit....................
Ooooh Rah Semper Fi