Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > Announcements/Updates

Announcements/Updates [Main Page]
Announcements and News Posted Here -

Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Smile It took awhile

For the past two days I have been buying the beer. Now I think it is time to rest.

After more then fifty five years of thinking about it.. I finally put in for a VA disability. I have been legally disabled since 1991 rated at 100% by Social Security because of a automobile accident where I fractured my neck (that is another story).

I received notice that I have been rated as follows from the VA:

Eyes - No I'm not blind but with this rating I should be - 100%.

Hearing Loss 60%

Tinnitus 10%

Gross Total 170%

Rounded off disability 100%

I was told that since I was a officer and worked in a office I would never be able to get any kind of disability so I never put in for one until a year ago. Then I went after everything I could think of.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 07-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Chuck they are doing the same thing to me, 80+% hearing loss that even the Navy doctors said was service related. I also have nerve damage from coming into contact with Agent Orange loading an unloading that shit while in supply bu they still turned me down. I'm working with a VA rep who is helping me. I suggest you don't do this alone.

Keep after them, You gave our Corps and this country years of your life so I'd say it's time to repay you for your commitment.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 07-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Gary, I'm getting my 100% and all the goodies that come with it.. that's all I'm interest in. I was told I may get extra because my total ratings are over 100% but my combined ratings show 100% service connected right now.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Gary are you saying they turned you down on everything? I would think you need a new VSO or better documentation.

I have every set of orders I ever received while on active duty and all of my dates I went TAD to the hospital to reconstruct my treatments. It made it easy for them to back track to gather the information because they knew where to look.

As to my hearing loss, I have a hearing loss of 83% in both ears with 100% loss of voice recognition in my left ear. I have been wearing hearing aids for years but it is getting to the point that I need new hearing aids again. The last 2 sets of hearing aids have been 100% digital. The first set I got from Medicare, the 2nd set from Tricare, and now I will be getting a set from the VA.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Administrator

I was for earned in the beginning the VA would turn down a number of time but just keep trying. I, like you have 855 hearing loss in my left ear which was confirmed to be from my time in the Corps by Navy doctors in Oakland back in 1991 when I was going to join the National Guard. I even having hearing test that were performed back in 91 and again in 2015 that showed the say thing. My VA rep is still working the system.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Back, a number of years ago, the VA wouldn't even let me join for heathcare because my family income was too high. But, a few years ago, they accepted me even though I had the same rating because of changes in the qualifications. In the Corps, I had been exposed to nuclear radiation as a nuclear projectleman and also having to stand duty near the old facility the Navy had at Camp Lejeune where they had buried nuclear waste (Radiated dogs). Also, I had three tours of duty at Camp Lejeune where I was exposed to the water contamination. I also suffered from hearing loss from being in heavy artillery in the time where your Gunny would boot you in the ass if you covered your ears when they were shooting the gun. The VA did give me a set of hearing aids and the doc I saw at that clinic even told me that I should put in for a disability rating because of the time I spent in artillery. The VA is also monitoring me every few months with chest ct scans because of some nasty stuff going on that could be from the water contamination at Camp Lejeune. I've held off putting in for a disability because between the VA, Medicare and my supplemental health insurance I have pretty good coverage.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Thumbs up

Jack, Over the years I tried to get into the VA health care program. But, like you I made too much money. I had and still have Tricare since I am retired. But I wanted to be able to get a electric scooter to get around in after I destroyed my foot almost 8 years ago. I could not get a scooter through Tricare. After five years of trying I did get a scooter through Medicare and Kaiser Hospital, but I had to pay a 20% co-payment that I turned in and got back from Tricare.

As I stated I went more then 55 years (I injured my foot in 1959 jumping from helicopters and had surgery on my eyes in 1961 because of headaches).

After I retired I was told by a lot of people that I would never get a disability rating on my feet or hearing because those injuries were not documented. I also would not get disability on my eyes because I had what they thought was corrective surgery while I was on active duty.

My brothers who are rated at 100% because of agent orange talked me into putting in a claim. I was actually shocked when I received my 100% rating because I thought I would get maybe 10% at most on each of my claimed disabilities. That would have been between 30% and 40%. I claimed 4 different disability claims. That would have been enough to get me into the VA health plan.

I was shocked when I was awarded 100% on my eyes, 60% on my hearing, and 10% on my tinnitus all service related. My feet were denied as not being service related.

I would say that anyone in here that had any kind of
injury should put in for it. You never know what may happen. I understand (not verified) that even if you just went thought boot camp they are giving 10% for hearing and 10% for Tinnitus. That would be enough to get you into the health care program but with a co-payment. That's better then paying high premium rates for health insurance.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Administrator

I actually am in the VA Health Care Program. I do have a copay but my Medicare Supplemental Insurance usually takes care of that. I do about half of my health care at the VA but use private health providers nearer to me for the other half. I got hearing aids from the VA last year and the doc in that clinic said I should put in for a hearing disability because I've had hearing loss ever since I was in heavy artillery in the Corps. On top of that I was put in the hospital for an ear problem just before I was released from active duty so I got my medical records which show that.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Administrator

One other thing. Although I was denied VA Health Care a couple of times years ago, they put me right through when I applied about a year and a half ago because of the fact I spent three different periods at Camp Lejeune during the contamination period.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:06 PM
Administrator

In my case I'm still pushing for it, I have been told many times the VA will turn you down just keep trying. I've been using the VA here in Sac for a number of years now getting good care. Like jack I have the additional coverage from ARP that covers the copay.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Keep at it Gary. You will get it. You might ask your VSO if there is anything additional you can submit. Like any time periods where you may think your disabilities started. That really helps.

I was lucky because I have kept every set of orders and sick bay chits that I ever received while on active duty. 20 years of paper work is a lot of paper work... But then it's really not that much. Lots of times just one time a year for annual physicals. I could go right to the time and date when things took place for my claims.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Administrator

I just got of the phone with my rep who is heading to DC for veterans stuff. He'll be back in town on the 14th of August and he agreed that we need to just keep on the VA. My first claim for my hearing was 1991 so it will be interesting to see what they do. He (Rep) said his first move is to get the VA to except the claim, then he'll go for back pay if possible.