Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Web Links > Personal Marine web sites

Personal Marine web sites Great sites to visit

Old 05-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Administrator

R. Lee Ermey

Look around, check us out, tell us what you think about The Gunny's show on the MAIL CALL FORUM link to the left. The Gunny wants to hear your thoughts. Also PLEASE use mailcall@digitalranch.tv for your questions to be submitted for possible use on show MAIL CALL on The History Channel.

Feel Free To
Drop In For A Visit

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 08-09-2009, 02:53 AM

I watched Mail Call all the time but
now watch his NEW show "LOCK-n-LOAD"
It's all about Firing Weapons both old and new.
And his targets are great..ie Watermelons, Paint bottles,

Great Show's and Gunny E Rocks !!--
Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 AM

watch this show also and it's just great.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM

I served with WORMEY ERMY in VIET NAM ( MWSG-17 in 1969 ) as a SGT. I was the S-2 Chief.
DING HOW, GUNG HO ! Skipper
Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 PM

To each his own. I took a great dislike the first time I saw Mail Call. To me he's too loud and offensive. A Hollywood caricature of what a Marine really is. Maybe he's not like that himself. I don't know. I haven't seen his new show and will not. He's not even a real Gunnery Sgt. The last I read, he was made "Honorary" Gunnery Sergeant by the CMC. I believe his last active duty rank was SSgt.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Lighten up a little GunnySan! I know there are a few DI's that probably share your opinion. But, I've also personally known a few DI's that are very much like R. Lee Ermy. In fact, my Gunny from the last outfit I was in was a lot like him and probably worse! He was a Korean War Vet, personal friend of Chesty Puller and had done a couple of tours as a PI DI prior to going to 2nd 8" Howitzer Battery (SP). I'm still in contact with him and he is the same piss and vinegar Marine he was back then. After I got out, my Gunny got a Mustang commision and ended up retiring as a Captain after doing a tour in Vietnam.

Another friend of mine is Gene Alvarez who is an author of a few books about PI. He did a couple of tours as a PI DI back in the 50's. He does share some of your thoughts but admits that a number of DI's were like R. Lee Ermy and turned out good Marines.

To the credit of R. Lee Ermy, he has been outstanding in supporting Marines and organizations that help out Marines and their families. He is a friend of the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps League and other Veteran organizations. He has done a lot for the Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation, Marines Helping Marines and other charitable organizations that assist Marines and their families.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM

Don't be so hard !

I met Gunny Ermey in February at the Rose Bowl performance of the Battle Colors Ceremony. After the performance ended, the Gunny stood out on the field for over 3 hours, talking to everyone, signing every bit of paper pushed in front of him and and taking at least a thousand pictures with people (including myself). I was able to speak with hm for about 15 minutes and to say that I was impressed with the man is an understatement.
I do know that in November, Gunny Ermey spends at least 2 weeks in Okinawa, going to as many Marine Corps Balls as he can.
R. Lee Ermey is a great advocate of the Marine Corps and I believe a great Marine and a genuinely good person.
As far as the rank goes, I don't have any doubt that had he not been discharged, we would speaking of First Sergeant or Sergeant Major Ermey. It may have been an honorary promotion, but I don't doubt that he didn't earn it.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 AM

I haven't said that he isn't a good person or a fine Marine. My feelings are about the show itself. I know about some of his offscreen activities.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Born in Emporia, Kansas, Ermey enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1961, after being arrested several times as a teenager. A court judge gave him the choice of the military or jail. He later joked that the Marine Corps "put a screeching halt to my unconventional manner." He spent two years as a drill instructor at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California, and Parris Island, South Carolina from 1965 to 1967. In 1968, Ermey arrived in Vietnam where he served for 14 months with the Marine Wing Support Group 17. He then served two tours of duty in Okinawa, Japan, during which he rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant (E-6) and was medically retired in 1972 for several injuries incurred during his tours. On May 17, 2002 he received an honorary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant (E-7) from Marine Corps Commandant James L. Jones in recognition of his role as Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann in the film Full Metal Jacket.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnySan View Post
To each his own. I took a great dislike the first time I saw Mail Call. To me he's too loud and offensive. A Hollywood caricature of what a Marine really is. Maybe he's not like that himself. I don't know. I haven't seen his new show and will not. He's not even a real Gunnery Sgt. The last I read, he was made "Honorary" Gunnery Sergeant by the CMC. I believe his last active duty rank was SSgt.
Gunny you're more like Dan Daly than you think - or maybe Old Gimlet Eye, who probably would have shared your opinion of Mail Call.

Personally I feel the same way about Full Metal Jacket - which up until the total bull moment a recruit somehow managed to smuggle an M14 with ammo into the bay the night before graduation - was a great movie.
Gunny did that - after his part the movie is pure Hollywood muck.

Of course Hollywood intended to punk the Corps - and Gunny turned it right around on them; took their stereotype and shoved it right back up their wazoo.
They may be flash on Rodeo Drive but R. Lee taught them not to mess with us, because they ain't got and never will get our stuff.

I can understand where you're coming from GunnySan because I envy you your time in what was the greatest of the "Old Corps" - I can full fathom the dignity and high level of conduct becoming that you must have known.

And I'm certain Gunny Ermy would as well.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 PM

How would you of liked the of had gunny for a drill instructor.