Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM

PI March 1996 plt 2072 .... any takers here ?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Platoon 262 'K' 2nd Parris Island 1964 2nd Batalion Wooden Barracks
Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM

The Recruit Platoon Number will not be shown in the Personnel File. The temporary record during Recruit Training was not merged with the Service Record. The Daily Report or Roster of the Recruit Platoons was kept as a temporary record. The reason for this is quite obvious, considering the number of Recruits that did not complete training for various reasons.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:37 AM

If a Marine is unable to remember his Recruit Platoon Number, it is not that unusual. Not every recruit purchases the Graduation Book and few keep a copy of their orders. While working as Asst. Administrator on another Marine website when it rolled out, there were quite a large number of Marines who had forgotten their Recruit Platoon Number. We endeavored to assist those with this difficulty by trying to locate their Drill Instructors or fellow Recruits who might know the Recruit Platoon Number. The particular website also allowed the members to "dispute" another member's profile, and far too many times a dispute was registered on the basis that a member was unable to remember their Platoon Number. Assisting a member to identify their Recruit Platoon was rewarding. So many Marines suffering from PTSD from Vietnam are unable to remember their Recruit Platoon number. This is just one of the symptoms of this dreaded condition, that robs them of joy.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Smile Joe,

Your statements above are so true. I receive emails all the time from Marines who can't remember their platoon numbers. Talk show host Jim Sumpter was just one of those asking for help in locating their platoon numbers. This is NOT a good excuse to call these Marines wannabe's. Try doing a couple of tours of duty in a combat zone and see what YOU remember from your past.

And yes Joe is also correct in regards to your DD-214. Medical records, as well as the records that show where and who you were assigned to during your time in the Corps. NONE of these records list your platoon number. They will however shoe the date you ENTERED boot camp, and the day you were assigned to the advance infantry course (in the 60's this was labeled ITR). The problem is many of us sat around for a week or two waiting for our platoons to form up. Having a DI's name can help in locating your platoon number. I know the Marine Corps Historical Society in San Diego have had luck in the past finding platoon numbers based on a DI's name. I'm not sure if Parris Island has these same capabilities though.

Thanks again Joe for your input on this.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
Your statements above are so true. I receive emails all the time from Marines who can't remember their platoon numbers. Talk show host Jim Sumpter was just one of those asking for help in locating their platoon numbers. This is NOT a good excuse to call these Marines wannabe's. Try doing a couple of tours of duty in a combat zone and see what YOU remember from your past.

And yes Joe is also correct in regards to your DD-214. Medical records, as well as the records that show where and who you were assigned to during your time in the Corps. NONE of these records list your platoon number. They will however shoe the date you ENTERED boot camp, and the day you were assigned to the advance infantry course (in the 60's this was labeled ITR). The problem is many of us sat around for a week or two waiting for our platoons to form up. Having a DI's name can help in locating your platoon number. I know the Marine Corps Historical Society in San Diego have had luck in the past finding platoon numbers based on a DI's name. I'm not sure if Parris Island has these same capabilities though.

Thanks again Joe for your input on this.
What do you mean waiting around for a week? I spent the first 4 weeks in boot camp doing every dirty job there was until our platoon (280 MCRD San Diego was formed) mostly scrubbing grease pits in the mess halls and on mess duty. I was starting to I would never be issued a rifle so I could start being something.

But the strange thing. I can remember my boot camp platoon because I still have my boot camp book but I can not remember my TBS number. Every time I need it for something I have to contact brother officers and have them give it to me.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Heck Major,

There was a reason they had you doing every shit job there was, they KNEW you would be a Mustang one day and figured if they were going to mess with you they had better do it then ha ha

Sir, yes Sir

Gary

Old 12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Another bad thing about waiting for a platoon assignment in boot camp is that we lived in the receiving barracks. Did you ever try to sleep in the receiving barracks? I thought that all new arrivals arrived in the middle of the night like I did (0130 to be exact - 0400 by the time we got to bed and then up at 0500).

There is no way you was able to sleep no matter how tired you were from the work details the day before. But those of us that were there the longest in the receiving barracks became receiving barracks salts. We had already found out what was going on and those new recruits coming in had big eyes.. and hair standing on end. It of course was before they received their first Marine Corps hair cuts.

We had dungarees and they still had their civvies. We also made sure they gave us their extra smokes because we told them that the DI's would take them away. But as time went by most of us and those that followed ended up in being in one of the three platoons that went through boot camp training together. Since my group was the the longest we were in platoon 280, the others were assigned by arrival date to 281 and 282.

I remember it as if it was yesterday and it was more then 55 years ago.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM
jryancey44

Yes I was one of these salts in 1961, thank goodness I was only there a week. I did about every kind of work you can imagine. When new people came in they woke up all of us. We would go to chow and I would see these shaved head guys and thought this must be a special forces group I am glad I didn't get in this outfit. I didn't reallize how stupid I was until my DIs came to pick us up. It's funny now, but was not then.

Jim Yancey
61-67
Semper FI
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
jryancey44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarSim View Post
Man, I find it hard to believe anybody could have forgotten their Parris Island platoon number. But, I guess we all had different experiences in Boot Camp.

I was in 3rd Battalion on Parris Island in 1959. In those days we were housed in Quonset huts, two eight-man squads to a hut. Thus multiple huts for the platoon. The DIs had their own hut of course.

The DIs would communicate with us by yelling our platoon number from their hut: "PLATOON 356!" We would respond in kind: "PLATOON 356, SIR!" Then we would be instructed to stand by for chow, or drill, or whatever was on the schedule that day. We would then respond with an "AYE, AYE, SIR!" We must have yelled out our platoon number 10 or 15 times a day in response to the DI's call. A low tech intercom system, but pretty effective,

As a result, my Parris Island recruit platoon number is permanently embedded in my brain!

- LarSim
Man you are telling the truth I followed you in 1961 same thing.

Jim yancey Grunt
61-67
Plt 1000 PI

Last edited by jryancey44; 01-11-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Talking plt.214 San Diego MCRD

I remember the # but can't remember if it was a,b,c, or d, company. This was jan.17,1968 to mar. 20 ,1968 give or take ,start to finish days.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 AM

Y'all can be as incredulous as you feel you need to be over someone forgetting their platoon number and I would have been right there with you until this incident.

Went up to visit with the guy who was my best buddy during our enlistments (and since). Marine topics always come up in discussion and I asked him what platoon he was in. He couldn't remember. He had to go dig out his boot camp platoon book in order to find out. Pissed him off.

Oderint dum metuant
Let them hate, so long as they fear.
--Caligula
Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
Well, I guess That I am one of the dummys that can`t remember their plt #.

I was in 2ed rec bn, from 20 May 1954 to 6 Aug 1954. was on 2ed deck of wooden barracks and I think my senior DI was sgt. Flynn.
maybe...because you didn't have one? NOBODY forgets his plt# or his svc# unless they're DEAD or brain damaged..you'de dam sure remenber your di's names! MUST BE HELL TO BE A DRAFT DODGER! "SMITTY", PLT184, 1961/1962 @ "PI", 1ST. BN......70 YRS OLD, REMEMBER IT ALL LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY! SEMPER FI ALL YOU REAL "JARHEADS"!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine1955 View Post
i got one major question for everyone here..
So here goes, does anyone have any idea how to go about finding out what platoon say someone was in say like zebra29er who is wondering what his was...
Reason i'm asking is one day i or anyone else may forget there platoon number and it would be great to know how to find oout what it was. I not nearly as old as some of you are but one day i might get hurt and forget my platoon number and want to know what it was.
Probably one sure way would be to have it tattooed on your body but there you go , who would have thought of that say 30, 40, or 50 years ago you know.. So if anyone knows how to recover your platoon info that would be great to know..
Semper fi and i hope someone has that info....
another draft dodging maggot! Get a life, you were never in the "crotch" or anything else! Bet your sorry ass was tossed out of the cub scouts!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Ontos,

Your WAY off base here. In all the years I've been running this web site as well as others I have found a number of Marines have forgotten their boot camp platoon numbers. As a combat vet as I assume you are with your name being Ontos I am also sure you can understand with all the shit you've been in how Marines can and do forget this piece of information.

Bottom line, lighten up Marine.........

Old 04-11-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdollar View Post
Well, I guess That I am one of the dummys that can`t remember their plt #.

I was in 2ed rec bn, from 20 May 1954 to 6 Aug 1954. was on 2ed deck of wooden barracks and I think my senior DI was sgt. Flynn.
CPL Miller brought your post to my attention. Since you were assigned to 2nd Recruit Training Battalion, from 20 May 1954 to 6 Aug 1954 you may have been assigned to one of the following Platoons, that began training in that BN in May 1954: Platoon 241, Platoon 256, and Platoon 261. If one of these bring back a good memory, let me know, and I will check to see if Sgt. Flynn was assigned at the Drill Instructor. Semper Fidelis.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Ontos,

Your WAY off base here. In all the years I've been running this web site as well as others I have found a number of Marines have forgotten their boot camp platoon numbers. As a combat vet as I assume you are with your name being Ontos I am also sure you can understand with all the shit you've been in how Marines can and do forget this piece of information.

Bottom line, lighten up Marine.........
CPL Miller, Thank you for bring the post of SilverDollar to my attention. I have replied to his post, and hope he will recall one of the three Platoons provided to him. Hand Salute to you for Administering in such a fair handed manner, and trying to allow this website to reflect a helpful respect for all Marines.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM

CPL Miller, I just sent a reply to a post by SilverDollar, and find some difficulty in finding that thread right now. I have information for him. He remembered his Drill Instructor's name as Sgt Flynn. He was in Recruit Platoon 263, that began training in May 1954. In addition to Sgt Flynn, he also had a Drill Instructor by the name of Sgt Hertz. Please see that he gets this information. Semper Fidelis.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
your boot camp platoon number can be found in your service record from St. Lous. Its been a while since receiving mine and am not sure if they list the platoon number or not. I'll have to pull the file and see if its there.
Please allow me to inject some information that might be helpful and might contradict CPL Miller's Post on this thread. The Recruit Platoon Numbers were not entered into the Service Record Book of the individual Marine. In trying to assist a Marine friend who was injured while training at MCRD Parris Island and admitted to the USNH Beaufort for those injuries, it was learned that the Recruit Platoon Number is NOT entered into the Service Record Book. In fact, later I was informed that the name of the Recruits were entered by grease pencil when assigned to a Recruit Platoon on a Tally Board in the Battalion Headquarters and were not a permanent record. This method was used because of the high number of Recruits who were dropped from Training for injuries, hard ship discharges, set back to another platoon, or assigned to strength platoon or motivation platoon during their assigned time at Parris Island and San Diego.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Administrator

As to platoon numbers being in the service record book...

In helping a Marine's son/daughter a few years ago glean information from the deceased father's service record, the son/daughter emailed me copies of the service record so I could answer questions for them.

As the service record pages provided to me were copies of the original pages, in the lower left-hand corner of the service history page where the name/SSN appears there was a four-digit number in parenthesis. In matching the four-digit number to our data base and other various papers provided, it turned out that this four-digit number was a platoon number.

Unfortunately, most often service record book pages would be re-typed because of errors, inspection purposes, etc. and this original information would be lost.

I've only seen this one time and the time period involved was from the 1950s.