Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 06:51 AM

Forgotten Pltn numbers and Silver Dollars Platoon

As to Silver Dollar's platoon number and yearbook.
We found his number and his book. The book was at PI in the Museum. While they could not send it to him, they did copy the pix and send him same.

Silver Dollar remembered his SDIs name and approximate date of graduation. PI was able to tell us what platoon that SDI had at that time.

One of Gary's helpers had indexed the books at the PI museum and there was a note on this site that the book was at the PI museum. The folks at the museum were very accommodating to copy the pix and send them to Silver Dollar.

This process of finding a platoon number might not always work. There is NO list of recruits and platoon numbers that any of us have been able to find over the years. Sometimes you luck out...like CMYR finding the number on the service records for one Marine or me finding it on an envelope from a letter mailed from boot camp or SILVERDOLLAR finding it by calling PI.

However, if you know the SDIs name and approx. date of graduation you MIGHT get lucky and be able to find the platoon number by calling PI .... 843-228-1555. Ask what platoon number the SDI had on your grad date. They may be able to tell you. (they might also have a group platoon pix ... approx. $11). This info is for PI ONLY.

You should also request your full service records and see if a number -- 3 digit for older platoons 4 digits for newer platoon (approx 1964 and newer) is written/stamped on the page. In any case, the service records will show your date of graduation from boot camp.... JD notation next to a date is the date you entered...should be the first entry and TR notation is the date you left boot camp or graduation date... should be the second date assuming there was no set back. That will give you a starting point in your search.

You should also call old girlfriends/wives/mothers/sisters and see if anyone has anything you sent home from boot camp. In my case, we had the envelope with the return address that included the platoon number but not the letter -a later letter had mistakenly been put in the envelope. So while I had read the letter for clues, I did not realize that the number I was looking for was plain as day on the envelope. It was a eureka moment!! A letter might have a reference to your Pltn number or DI and that might help.

None of this is easy. A list would be easy but the Corps is not in the business of making things easy!!! LOL. Good luck.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Administrator

GREAT advice Windrace, hopefully this post will explain ways to find your platoon number.

Thanks for your update on this as well as Nancy (CMYR) help and support of our fellow Marines.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 04-10-2015, 03:36 PM
gil smith

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboltz47 View Post
i wasn't sure if i was in plt. 186 or 187, but on my test scores when i got my records had a 186 written on top and then i found it on top of another paper so i knew then for sure it was 186. I could never forget my service # though 2127888 it was so burned into my brain that it lived through the 60's where some memories didn't, remember they say if you remember the 60's you weren't there.lol never forget that sandpit at sd, we spent a lot of time on our back, on our bellies, stand up, get down, for what seemed hours and holding our buckets full of sand out to the side until your arms felt like they would fall off...i would do all over again if i could.
nobody ever forgets what plt. They were in! Another arm-chair wannabee looking for attention!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Gil,

Some people never forget. Others never remember. I spent more then 20 years on active duty and retired as a field grade officer. Yet there are things I do not remember.

Over the years (58 years now as a Marine) I have helped Marines get the information they could not remember. It all has to start with a starting point. I always used a photo of the person taken during the time period they are trying to get information on. Then I can contact the DoD and get information through the freedom of information laws. I can then verify that the person trying to get the information is the same person that is in his military records. I do not supply personal information. But I have been known to verify information.

If a person has has old military ID number or Social Security number or both, his date of birth, and about when he served he can get copies of his entire service records.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

In addition to what Chuck said you may also find your platoon number in your military records. If it's there it can be found in the order of duty stations. As an example your duty station assignments show you went from boot camp to your advance combat training course. They sometimes put it there. just before they list the training course. Back in the 60's they called it ITR. If not Chuck's way works as well.

Carry on Marines!!

Old 04-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Gary after reading your last post I spent some time and went back through all my military records. I have originals of every order, promotion, and DD-214 and so on that I ever received.

There is nothing there to indicate I went through MCRD San Diego 28May56 to 10Sep56. I could only go by the dates on the orders. My orders from MCRD San Diego putting me on my 10 day boot camp leave and then on to ITR at Camp Pendleton just showed I was transferred from MCRD to ITR with 1 day travel pay. From there I went to Bridgeport to cold weather training and then on to MCAS Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii for duty with A/1/4.

So even if someone has all their orders, as I do, they still may not be able to tell what their boot camp platoon number was. But my year book tells me I was with platoon 280 San Diego.

Maybe I need hit on the head again.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 04-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Chuck,

This isnformation (platoon number) is ONLY located on SOME military paperwork and it's NOT always there. I've seen it listed.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:37 PM
gil smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflood View Post
Man, I agree........ how could any Marine forget his Boot Camp Platoon number or his serial number (if you had one)!
HE DIDN'T FORGET IT, HE NEVER HAD ONE! AFTER 54 YEARS i still remember dam near every miserable, wonderful second of "pi"! ONLY A LOW LIFE DRAFT DODGER MAGGOT WOULD MAKE THAT STATEMENT! THAT PUNK NEEDS A SESSION OUT IN THE HANDBALL COURT...!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Administrator

You'd be surprised Gil,

I've been running this web site for more years than I care to think about and in those years there has been a number of Marines could couldn't remember their platoon number. Do boot camp, then go directly to war zone and see the shit we see. Boot camp can be a long ago experience so don't say no one could ever forget their platoon number......just saying Marine

Old 11-08-2015, 01:58 PM
gil smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboltz47 View Post
i wasn't sure if i was in plt. 186 or 187, but on my test scores when i got my records had a 186 written on top and then i found it on top of another paper so i knew then for sure it was 186. I could never forget my service # though 2127888 it was so burned into my brain that it lived through the 60's where some memories didn't, remember they say if you remember the 60's you weren't there.lol never forget that sandpit at sd, we spent a lot of time on our back, on our bellies, stand up, get down, for what seemed hours and holding our buckets full of sand out to the side until your arms felt like they would fall off...i would do all over again if i could.
this guy is a lying, gutless maggott! You never forger two things, your svc, number and which platoon you were in! String this c oward up and burn him!! I was in plt. 184, oct. 1961..!
Old 10-03-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflood View Post
man, i agree........ How could any marine forget his boot camp platoon number or his serial number (if you had one)!
the only person that forgets his service number or platoon number is a liar who was never there!!semper fi all you real jarheads!
Old 10-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Gil,

I've been supporting our Marines going back to 1996 on the internet. In all those years I have heard from a number of Marines who have forgotten their platoon number and like you thought that has to be bullshit. Well until I started asking questions.

1. How can it be you don't remember?
Answer: I played TWO tours in Nam, heavy combat, took shrapnel to the head. Lost much of my early memory.
2. How can it be you don't remember?
Answer: PTSD has taken it's toll on the mind and I just don't remember
3. How can it be you don't remember?
Answer: a few years ago I was in a real bad car accident where I received brain damage.........DO I need to go on

Before you go and make these kinds of statement how about you kick your brain housing group into fucking gear Marine. Unless you've been there don't judge others......ENOUGH SAID!!

Old 10-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Administrator

I do agree with Gary. And, I've been on the internet since before it was the internet. Every one in a while, I run across a Marine that can't remember his service number or what the platoon number was of the platoon he graduated from. But, I hesitate to label him as a liar because at my age there's a lot of things I don't remember.