Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > Announcements/Updates

Announcements/Updates [Main Page]
Announcements and News Posted Here -

Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Fueled By The Fallon

Today I helped sponsor an event that has become very dear to my heart. Fueled By The fallen, an organization that supports families of the fallen from the Iraq, and Afghanistan war's. Read below, go to their web site, I'll bet you support this as I do.
http://www.fbtf.org/

Read on......

Kevyn Major Howard, “Rafterman” from Stanley Kubrick’s blockbuster film Full Metal Jacket, challenged himself in 2007 to name just one Hero that had died for his freedom. “I was watching the nightly news as they announced that 12 died this day and 7 that day”, Kevyn said. “I woke up one morning and challenged myself to name just one person who has died for my freedom”, he continued. “I couldn’t.”

So Kevyn decided to do something about it. He started the Fueled By The Fallen, a 501(c)3 non-profit. Kevyn enlisted the expertise of Chuck Spiker, a lifelong drag racer and former National Go Kart Champion, to create a memorial that would get the attention of all Americans. “The reason we chose race cars is because you can get the attention of a two year and a ninety-two year old with one”, Kevyn said. Chuck took a 1963 Nova and created a 10 second quarter mile door slammer drag car representing fallen Marines from Iraq and Afghanistan. “Maybe I can get people who look upon the race car to remember just one name. If I can do that, I have accomplished my mission”, Kevyn continued.

The determination was made that more cars are needed. The ’63 Marines Nova was already filled with 867 fallen Marines. Fueled By The Fallen acquired a Bickel chassis custom drag car with a fiberglass 1966 Nova shell to become the second Marines car.

A second 1966 Chevy Nova was acquired to become the Navy car in 2008.

As more people viewed the Memorial Race Cars, the need for the other branches became immediately apparent.

A 1992 Ford Mustang LX “Fox Body” was acquired to represent the fallen Army soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan. Today, there is a second Army Mustang (’93 GT 5.0) that is a parade car to increase the visibility of those Army Heroes whom have given the ultimate sacrifice.

In April of 2010, the Air Force car was acquired. It is a 1970 Chrysler Challenger R/T featuring 99 fallen Air Force Heroes.

In August of 2010, a Ford Anglia was acquired from Niagara Falls, NY. It is currently being built into the first in a series of “Allies” cars to represent those brave fallen Heroes from our friends across the globe.

In 2009, Kevyn recognized the sacrifices of our brave public safety personnel by creating the National Law Enforcement Memorial Cruiser featuring over one thousand fallen peace officers from around the United States since September 11th, 2001.

In August of 2010, Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca and the Association of Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs, in conjunction with Fueled By The Fallen, created the Los Angeles County Memorial Cruiser featuring 477 fallen peace officers from Los Angeles County since 1850.

Fueled By The Fallen and J & B Motorsports, Pittsburgh, PA, collaborated on two nitro funny cars. One is a “Marines Dress Blues” Memorial car and the other is a “USS Enterprise Tribute” car. Today, those cars can be seen racing at drag tracks across the United States.

I hope Rafterman's effects bring comfort to many in keeping their loved one's memories alive.

We will be adding a link to their web site in our links section soon.

Semper Fi

Carry on Marines!!

The Yellow Footprints team
Attached Images

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com

Last edited by Cpl Miller; 09-13-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Cpl. Miller, Excellent read. What a great way to remember the fallen.
This past Memorial day, I also wanted to put faces and names to the number of our military that have given their lives in Iraq and afghanistan. I found a website that listed, with photos, fallen Iraq and Afghanistan warriors (Iraqwarheroes.com), and for several weeks I attempted to read every memorial there. (It was an emotionally draining experience, but well worth the time).
One particular individual caught my attention. A Corporal Jennifer Parcell from Bel Air Maryland, who had been killed while pat searching a female Iraqi in Feb. 2007. She was a member of the lioness program, and only 6 days away from closing out her tour in Iraq, and returning to Okinawa.
After sending belated condolences to the family, I received replies and developed a friendship with several members of Corporal Parcell's family. It seems that the correspondence that I have had with them has been therapeutic for all of us. It has been a great way to help keep alive the memory of a fallen Marine. Semper Fi / Regina Meunier
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I keep thinking,

how different it is today then when I came home many years ago. Showing our appreciation for those that have served, and those that haven't come home is about time I say.

This organization (Fueled By The Fallen) is just one more way to keep our fallen alive, we can NOT forget what these men and women have given so we can be free.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Testing

Six
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I just posted and then went into my reply and made an edit and it functioned fine ....

Six