Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Channel

Open Channel [Main Page]
Communicate with your Brothers/sister Marines.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator

"WHY" did you join the Marine Corps?

Last month, Leatherneck Magazine published a letter from me in their "Sound Off" column. It outlined some of the reasons I chose the Marine Corps when I decided to enter the armed forces. This month, a couple of readers posted a reply to my letter. It got me to thinking that it might be a good thread starter. So.....What were your reasons for joining the United States Marine Corps?

Old 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Because I wanted to prove that I could do it and afterwards realized it was the greatest group and organization in the would. It gave me the confidence and pride to become the person I am today. I only regret that I didn't stay for 20 years.

Semper Fi
Mikeb
Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
Because I wanted to prove that I could do it and afterwards realized it was the greatest group and organization in the would. It gave me the confidence and pride to become the person I am today. I only regret that I didn't stay for 20 years.

Semper Fi
Mikeb
You sound a lot like me! When I made the decision to join the Corps, I started getting a lot of advice from my father's Catholic War Vet buddies. Some advised me that it was a mistake because Parris Island would be too tough. It just made me more enthusiastic to go. I got put in the hospital about a month into training. I was told I had two choices. One was the option to bring my SDI up on charges and get a discharge from the Marine Corps. The 2nd choice was to stay in the Corps, get set back into another platoon and become a Marine. I took the 2nd choice.

At the end of my four year hitch, I actually wanted to stay in the Corps. But, I had decided the path I wanted to take in my life and wanted computer repair. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of options for computers in the Corps in 1962. They offered me a number of things like Aviation Electronics, Aviation Mechanics, DI School and even a MOS change with a tour in a place called Vietnam (The Captain giving me the re-enlistment talk told me that no Marine would ever see combat in Vietnam!) but they couldn't offer me the Navy's computer repair school in Great Lakes unless I extended for six months, got another stripe and then put in for it. I didn't like any of the options they offered me so I got out.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM

Hi All,Why I joined the Marine Corps? Well I was invited to "Go into the service"by a Sgt on the Pomona Calif police dept in early Jan 1964.I was also instructed that I couldn't join the Navy or Air Force,or I would end up in Chino Prison for 3 to 5 years.I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer,so I headed for the local Post office to see a recruiter.My brother was Army paratrooper 82nd A/B.The only time I saw him was in a green uniform,I
saw a poster one was a sailor the other was a green uniform. I took the second as Army,DUH not too sharp,But it was the BEST mistake of my life.Except for getting shot at in Vietnam I didn't mind the Corps at all.When I returned in 10-66 to Camp Pendleton and was assigned to a Company going right back within six months.I'm no coward but I had to many close calls on my first tour and figured I was pushing my the odds to go right back so I got out 1-67 at the ripe old age of 20 yrs and 3months.If I would have gotten orders to anywhere state side for two or three years before another tour of Viet nam that may have changed my mind. I was a E4 under three and they offered E5 to stay and go right back.I think the Corps turned me around and directed my life as I'm now looking at 64 in 9-2010 and have been a Insurance Agent for 40 years.Seems more people swear by me than swear at me as a pretty good business man.With my Marine Corps Honorable Discharge and Old Glory hanging on the wall in my office for all to see.
I even framed my Pink ID card with my boot camp photo on it,cracked jaw and all.
I have also steered many a troubled kid into the Corps over the years they always come by the office to say Thanks for the direction. SEMPER FI to All you old "Jar Heads"
Dick Shewmake.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Administrator

At 16,

I didn't like the choices facing me if I didn't do something to get my shit together. The Marine Corps took care of that problem.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 PM

Was in college going nowhere. Logical thing to me was to try to get my shit in one sock. The Corps did it quickly and relatively painlessly.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JITB View Post
Last month, Leatherneck Magazine published a letter from me in their "Sound Off" column. It outlined some of the reasons I chose the Marine Corps when I decided to enter the armed forces. This month, a couple of readers posted a reply to my letter. It got me to thinking that it might be a good thread starter. So.....What were your reasons for joining the United States Marine Corps?
I was at that age; remember (when you knew everything)? I wore a POW bracelet and had not a clue Viet Nam was, shall we say contriversial. My cousin had given his life & my uncle had lost the use of his limbs from the chest down. My brother had served in the 101st Airborn & most of our friends & co-workers fit into one of the above categories. Those that returned without physical scars, bore the emotional; & said little, if nothing about their expierience. Joining the military was the American thing to do!!! I visited every branch, everyone wanted me; except this Marine recruiter who said a die hard hippie like me couldn't make it past the first week.
Ha. I showed him. The Corps showed me I had talents I didn't realize I had. They made me a journalist/broadcaster (4312/13). I had been merritoriosly promoted to Corporl by the time I re-enlisted 2yrs after I first wondered, "What the H was I thinking"; while just a boot at Parris Island. I was then merritoriosly promoted to Sgt., and got to work at The Far East Network. Unfortunatly, if the Corps wanted you to have a spouse; they'd issue one. They didn't & I did!!!(have a spouse) I had fought alot of battles as a Woman in the Corps, accomplished a multitude of "First Woman ever...", but one rule was stead fast. Get pregnant & you have no choice, your out.
That was then & this is now. The Corps provided me with the disipline & strength to face any challenge in life & simply, never give up.
Once a Marine, always a Marine. Sempi Fi

Last edited by sgtcrm1; 07-08-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Well the one and only reason I join! I wanted revenge for my Cousin being shot down in Nam. I wanted to go over and get an eye for an eye ,tooth for a tooth.
Thats what I started off as but after I got in and didn't get to go things change for me I got a different outlook on life and thought that this was the life for me,and precessed to live as a Marine.
Sometimes I wish i could have made it but everyone says you might never made it back from there and you know They might be right.
Semper Fi to all

Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM

Sounds like a lot of the same!

Just registered and started going through forums and thought I would add my 2 pennies on this trhead.

First, could never forget the picture of my borther in his dress blues; he was a seagoing Marine from 57-59.
No sob story but being my Mom passed away when I was 10 and Dad at 16, I was kind of on my own and floundering. Tried college for a semester, then worked for a guy on Wall St. that was a Marine on Iwo; he still had shrapnel coming out of wounds even then! Combine all of those things and what other logical solution could I come to??? And yes, as some of the others said, wanted to prove to my brother that I could do it too.

Nam in 66/67, with 11th Engineers, opened Rt 9 to Khe Sahn (have one of the original pictures of the sign), then the line from Gio Lin to Con Thien, the battle at ConThien in May of 67 (D-1/4) kind of cinched not wanting to go back. Felt like I never did get out though as I got stationed at Quantico when I came back from Nam and then lived on the back side of the base for years with my wife working for the PMO and schools. I too still regret not staying in but then I was dumb not stupid!!

Semper Fi.

Andy W
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM

At the age of 17 i was homeless and needed ahome an direction USMC gave that and much more . I thought i was home when i arived at P.I and like other marine I regret not staying in but i ran into the wrong people at the wrong time nothing to do with the corp just people SEMPER.FI CPL. allen r moore 1964-68 MOS 2531 arty f 0 vietnam attach to G-2-3.-1966-67
Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM

I think I aways wanted to be a Marine. I grew up in the immediate aftermath of WWII and seem to remember that the Marines were always considered the best. Lots of war stories being told in those days. I wanted to give the best a try.

I graduated High School and wavered: College? Work? Marines? College wouldn't work, I wasn't ready. I had no clue what I wanted to do. Work, on the other hand was available (the local Pratt & Whitney Factory). But the thought of getting locked in to a job for the rest of of my life didn't hack it.

Then Corporal Coyle of the local Marine recruiting station rang my door bell (I had filled out a post card expressing my interest in the Marines during one of those High School assemblies they held for graduating seniors). He talked me into it, and it wasn't hard. I decided then and there to give the Marines a try.

Then I had to talk my Mom into it. I was only 17 and needed her permission.

Several weeks later, I was being 'herded' from the Receiving Barracks of Parris Island by my Senior and Junior DIs.

No regrets.

- LarSim
Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Wow, guess I'm going to revive an old thread --

I was a college student in the early to mid '70's -- which means I know what marijuana looks like, smells like, tas$#s like...). Supposedly I was majoring in Music Education, but I guess I was really majoring in Party. After spending 4 years getting 2 years credit, I was getting pretty frustrated with my life and felt like I was on the road to being a bum.

I'd always been interested in airplanes, so I started trying to contact the Air Force recruiter in Hammond, Louisiana -- but he was never there! After several visits, the Marine recruiter walked out to talk to me. Would you believe I didn't even know what a Marine WAS? He had to tell me, and then he had to explain that the Marine Corps had airplanes, and then he FURTHER had to explain that there were entire bases with all Marines stationed there. I was so ignorant!

In the end, I enlisted in March of 1977, flew from New Orleans to San Diego on April 1, 1977 and got the biggest shock of my life when I tried to ask a Marine at the San Diego airport how to get to MCRD! Wow, what an interesting 3 months!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:35 PM

I think I am a typical Marine in the late fifties and early sixties.

I was a punk. Well known by the police dept. I had a police officer who was always the same one who arrested me time and time again. Course they worked areas back then and I was in his area. He was an ex Marine.

Finally I stood before the judge and he gave me that choice that many have heard or seen about in the movies.

Go join or go to his special place, you know the ones with the bars on it?

So, I spent the next 12 days talking to people about the services(at the time of the judges verdict, I was 15 and my birthday was 12days away, if my parents would sign the papers, and lo and behold, they WERE THRILLED TO)

. Hell, I didnt know nuttin about nuttin back then. My uncle was in WW2, and he told me to join the army and see the world. Great deal he says. My other uncle was in the Navy in WW2 and he said sail the seas and meet all the great women. That god dam cop told me stay the shit away from the Marines, they would kill me and I would spend the rest of my life in the brig.

So, off I goes to Cpl Millers place , 1114 Commerce st. In there are all the liars, opps , recruiters of all the services.

I enter the Army and this guy tells me how great , easy and wonderful the Army is. Next I go to the Navy and hear this wonderful story of visiting all the countries, making all the women etc, etc. Next I go to the Air Force, and he says, fly away with us to never never land and have a great life. Now understand , Cpl Miller does, that all these people have great big huge offices and several uniformed men and women in all of them.

Down at the end of the hall is a closet. It says, U.S. MARINES on the door, so I go in, and lets get this straight, after my talk with the cop, I wasnt bout to join that shit .

Any way, I enter this closet, big enough for one desk and a sgt sits there in his uniform. Ask me what the fuk I want. I say, I was thinking about joining. He spends 30 minutes telling me I aint good enough for them. Then he spend 2 minutes getting me signed up.

The rest is history.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Thumbs up

I join The Corps cause a Friend and I were collect unemployment . And the summer was coming to the end .So one day he shows up and tells me he enlisted into the Marine Corps .That very next day my Old man ask me what I was going to do when my unemployment ends .
After about a week or so ,and having 2 half Dollars to my name . And no future at all .
I Join The Beloved Corps .

Now I Carry The Title of The
United States Marine Corps Forever & Ever ...........

Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 AM

I am so happy I came back to this thread to see if there were new posts. I was nodding yes and laughing as I read your post. My husband was given the same choice as you - Military or a cell complete w/bars. He enlisted in Ohio. I was just your average hippie (NY, Woodstock, rock n roll & plenty of MJ). Yet deep down wanted to travel & yes, educate myself. Joining the military could solve those issues. Sounds like we went to the same recruiters. Everyone pursued me, except this Marine who laughed at me. Being a hippie was bad enough, but a woman hippie...LOL. Same same, 30 minutes making fun of me, not long getting me to sign up. We showed them, didn't we!? I am thankful every day my recruiter took that approach. Think there is some strategy there? The Marines don't want quiters, they wanted us and knew how to play truth or dare before it was a fad. Thanks for your post, it brought back happy memories.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 AM

A buddy and I went to Mansfield, Ohio to join the Navy at the recruiters station and saw the the Marine Corps dress blues on a poster and joined because we thought it was the sharpest uniform in all the service's! Still think so!
Semper Fi
TH
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 AM

I joined the marines back in 1963 on a buddy buddy plan.well my buddy was 4f,so i did it alone.was born and razed in jersey city new jersey,i felt I had to get out of there or I WAS GOING TO GET IN SERIOUS trouble.the marines taught me a lot of things in life and i'am proud to be a marine always.

SEMPER FI
marinerefuler
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 AM

I joined the Marines right out of high school in 1966,on the 120 day delay program. The draft was in full swing and I did not want to be drafted,so I joined the elite and proud.Went to MCRDSD and graduated 9/22/66.Proudest day of my life to be called a U.S. Marine