Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 05:39 PM

How to find what Plt you were in

I have forgotten (age I guess) what my plt number was at PI. I started in the 3rd and finished in the 2nd. We graduated in May or June of 1959. Any help would really be great.

Thanks

L/Cpl J Moore
1959-1963
C-1-6 then McAlester Naval Ammo Depot, Ok.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Administrator

If I'm not mistaken,

your boot camp platoon number can be found in your service record from St. Lous. Its been a while since receiving mine and am not sure if they list the platoon number or not. I'll have to pull the file and see if its there.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 AM

I know that the plt # is not on your DD214. because I'm looking for my red book but fogot my plt # was at P I Nov 1972- mar 1973
Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Smile Platoon Number

Man, I find it hard to believe anybody could have forgotten their Parris Island platoon number. But, I guess we all had different experiences in Boot Camp.

I was in 3rd Battalion on Parris Island in 1959. In those days we were housed in Quonset huts, two eight-man squads to a hut. Thus multiple huts for the platoon. The DIs had their own hut of course.

The DIs would communicate with us by yelling our platoon number from their hut: "PLATOON 356!" We would respond in kind: "PLATOON 356, SIR!" Then we would be instructed to stand by for chow, or drill, or whatever was on the schedule that day. We would then respond with an "AYE, AYE, SIR!" We must have yelled out our platoon number 10 or 15 times a day in response to the DI's call. A low tech intercom system, but pretty effective,

As a result, my Parris Island recruit platoon number is permanently embedded in my brain!

- LarSim
Old 01-31-2009, 01:30 PM

Forgotten platoon nUmbers? HOLY MENTAL ABERRATION, BATMAN!!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Platoon 267 sir,

Geez H Christ LarSim, ya sure you weren't in my platoon in 64, everything including the Quonset huts. Never knew that you could get concrete that shinny. Our's where right NEXT to the sand pits in San Diego. We'd be carrying BUCKETS, water and sand, and for hours SCRUB the concrete with those hug scub brushes. You ever have to bury your rifles in the sand and have two hours for you REPEAT rifle inspection?

FORGET platoon number....service number, NOT in this lifetime!!

But I will add this, we each go through alot in life, is it possible to forget such drilled in information, I guess it's possible.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com

Last edited by Cpl Miller; 09-21-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Yup! Forgeting my platoon number is something I certainly have never had a problem with! I, also, was in two different platoons. I started off in the white barracks of 1st Battalion in Platoon 198. About a month into training, I had an unfortunate run in with our SDI and ended up in the hospital for two weeks. After getting out of the hospital, I was set back and they put me in 3rd Battalion. I ended up in Platoon 344. I actually lucked out as Platoon 344 was only one week behind Platoon 198. Platoon 344 was still in Quonset huts as the brick barracks in 3rd Battalion were just being built. I think the first brick barracks was opened sometime in 1959. I actually took a tour of the fist barracks building where our drill instructor, Staff Sergeant Bunting, told us that future recruits would be living in the lap of luxury with maid service but wouldn't be REAL Marines. What was interesting was that I went to my son's barracks on Family Day in 1998. It turned out to be the very same barracks I took a tour of in December of 1958!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:04 PM

If you began in one batt and finished in another then you got recycled.
That would scramble anyone's brain.
Your plt# would be the one you graduated with.

We had a guy who broke his thigh on the Confidence Course and finished with my platoon after a YEAR at PI - after more recycles than he could remember.

Mine is burned in my brain

324-325-326-327

winner of the Drill Comp ribbon - some things you just can't forget

can you remember your DI's names? There will be a record of what herds they rode

any here know Cpl. Anthony Masterpole?
he kicked my tail more times then any other DI in history
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

I did not know that any Marine Could forget his boot camp platoon number. It's like forgetting your first service number. I had 3 service numbers in my active duty time and I will never forget any of them and I have been retired more years then I would like to count. I had a enlisted service number.. starting in the 1587 series.. Then a officers service number.. starting in the 0587 series.. then of course my social security number..

My platoon number was 280 at MCRD San Diego. so those of you that can not remember.. just hang in there.. things will only get worse as more of your memory goes.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 05-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Hell, I remember both PI platoons I was in. 198 and then 344. After a two week hospital stay I was set-back to Platoon 344 which, actually, was only a week behind Platoon 198.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a43472 View Post
I have forgotten (age I guess) what my plt number was at PI. I started in the 3rd and finished in the 2nd. We graduated in May or June of 1959. Any help would really be great.

Thanks

L/Cpl J Moore
1959-1963
C-1-6 then McAlester Naval Ammo Depot, Ok.
I can not remember yesterday but my Platoon number was 343, Service number 1892609, and my M14 was 218227 SR.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JITB View Post
Hell, I remember both PI platoons I was in. 198 and then 344. After a two week hospital stay I was set-back to Platoon 344 which, actually, was only a week behind Platoon 198.
JITB,

I was in Platoon 343. We out posted from PI on September 11, 1963. I think you DI and my DI were friends and used to try and trip us up when marching. Clp Jones was our Jr DI

Frank
frusso10@msn.com
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Frank! The DI's from my platoon were probably gone by the time you went through PI. I was in Platoon 344 in 1958!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 PM

Hey easy on us old salts , they say the memory is the 2nd thing to go .... I forget what my first was . But I don't remember my Plt. , I just found out what my RTBn was and the date LOL but then two I had a head injury and have a problem with my memory , I grad. 14 Jan. 1962 reported for MRT on 14 Sep. 1961 so anyone that was in the 2nd about then would check you books and if you find me in your books I would appreciate letting me know .
P/S all my records I had was lost in a fire of my home .
Zebra29er

Walter Anderson

WGAnd44@gmail.com

Last edited by Zebra29er; 09-22-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:11 PM

You can go to this site & download form SF-180, complete it according to instructions & request a copy of your personnel file. Select "All Documents in Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)"

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skosh59 View Post
You can go to this site & download form SF-180, complete it according to instructions & request a copy of your personnel file. Select "All Documents in Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)"

http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/
Thats how I found my records of service but no Plt number .
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Administrator

The first step is to request your service records. On the Chronological page will be dates for all units you served in. Most times, using the date you are TR from boot camp will give you a graduation date from boot camp and the battalion you graduated with. However, in some cases, the TR date will not be the graduation date due to not taking leave after boot camp to go to your school, etc.

You can also check in the Service Records for the promotions page. The first entry will be your promotion to your first rank in the Corps. The "date promoted" for this promotion should be your graduation date from boot camp.

Using the boot camp graduation date, you can then check the bootcamp database to see if there are other platoons shown for your graduation date. If you can remember one of your drill instructors names, you can call Parris Island or email San Diego with the DI's name and your month and year of graduation and they should be able to locate your platoon picture.

S/F,
Nancy
Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Lightbulb

It came to mind this morning that maybe, just maybe, a source of finding a platoon number could be found through a local newspaper clipping.

Once the service records are received and the month/year of graduation is found, a person could write/email/call the newspaper for their area where they enlisted to see if there was some sort of news "blurb" about their graduation.

And then you can always keep checking back to the boot camp database here at YFP. Since DIs can serve for a year or two, check the platoons that are posted around your timeframe. You may recognize one of your drill instructors names that you could use to call/email either Recruit Depot to have them locate your graduation picture.

Just some thoughts...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM

Plt 2012 mcrd sandeigo 1969 2514336 any other marines out there that was in my plt?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM

We didn't have platoon numbers, just tribe names and they didn't have numbers embedded in the spears we were issued.
(lonnnnngggg time ago.):gi9: