Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Administrator

"Top Kick"

I learned from an older San Diego book today that a 1stSgt was once referred to as a "Top Kick."

Interesting...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Top was one thing,

Top Kick might just get your butt kicked. ha

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 AM
Administrator

I was thinking...

the same thing. I learned really fast not to refer to a MSgt as a Top..... "do I look like I spin around in circles, Marine???" even though some of my fellow Marines could do so.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:31 PM

Yes, 'Top Kick' was used in 'the Before Time', but not to his face. You might say ' Cpl. Milquetoast, take this logbook to Top Grizzly'. I sometimes addressed the MSgt/1stSgt as 'Top' after I became a SNCO not before and never in the presence of officers or lower enlisted. This was when they were E7. The 1stSgt was almost always a MSgt as was the SgtMaj. It was a position not a rank. I heard there were some wearing Stars or Diamonds just prior to the 1959 addition of the E8/E9 paygrades, but I never saw one.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

I am sure you will agree Gunny,

it's called RESPECT.....

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM

Respect

Abso-freaking-lutely!
Some of my 1Sgts & Sgts Maj. could strike terror in the hearts of 2ndLts. who thought they ran the unit.
As a side note - Back then Cpls were E-3. We thought we were some mean mothers(19-20 year old NCOs). Especially after our Bn.CO.. got all the officers and NCOs together to introduce himself. He had us sitting in the theater in inverse order of rank, corporals in front. His main point was that the battalion's success or failure depended on the effectiveness of the corporals. I had been a 19yr. old corporal about 1 month. That scared the living crap out of me. I've forgotten the CO's name, but not the message. I always tried to get that across to my new cpls.

God, I miss that life!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 AM

After my stint in the Marines, I entered the Air Force as a Acft Mechanic, which is what I asked for when entering the Marines, but I ended up as a clerk. Anyway as a MSgt (E-7) I was in charge of a Transient Alert Section. We had a Marine BG who with his back seater, a Capt. used to drop in now and then. The Capt always used to refer to me a "Top". He told me the General liked stopping in because when he parked his A-4, we use to get him a maintenance stand to deplane with. Said the Marines would make him climb down the side.

wlkin
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 AM

We called 1stSgts "first shirt", but not usually to their faces. When I was in, "top" was what we called MSgts and MGySgts. Some didn't like it and they'd let you know. I was in 1981-2001.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:56 PM

I remember being promoted by our Battalion Commander, a LtCol, to MSgt and during the ceremony a WM 2ndLt said in a congratualtory tone, "congratulations Top", to which I replied, "Lt I'm not a top, I am a MSgt. As was stated earlier a top is a toy that spins around on its head doing nothing. Additionally, a 1stSgt, with about 14 years in the Corps made the mistake of calling me "top" which was a mistake. I informed him that I was a MSgt and didn't like the term top. I'm sure that he wouldn't want to be addressed as that.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 PM

Strange I guess, we always called ours Gunny. That dude could chew a lts ass out like no one I have ever seen since.