Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Communications [Main Page] > Enlisted Club

Enlisted Club [Main Page]
As any Marine who has tipped a beer in one of the base clubs knows ANYTHING can and usually does happen at an Enlisted Club.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Have to add my two cents about boot MCRD San Diego Jan 1964.I had no idea of what
was going to happen after standing on those YELLOW FOOT PRINTS so many years ago.
My only warning came from a former Marine who was in during the 50's.I saw him a
couple of days before I leave for BOOT. His comment was with a very serious face.
"They won"t Kill You". I recalled his comment a few times during my training.I was in Plt 305,and had a Sgt Jack Cohen who I just found out recently was Pacific Fleet Weight
Lifting Champion.Did he like to punch us any time.I recall one day during PT,he didn't like the way I did Push ups.He squatted down while I was in the prone position and hit me on the chin,airborne I went over 2 ranks and landed in the ice plants out cold for 10 minutes.I saw the light and changed my way real fast,made a man out of me quickly..
Dick Shewmake - Vietnam 65-66 ..came out a Corporal in three years.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM

If nothing else you learned how to do a correct Marine Corps pushup, lol. Nothing torques me off more than somebody that says they can do 100 pushups and they aren't Marine Corps pushups. Ha, ha, Semper Fi.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM

boot camp

Hi you are correct danno 2621,I was a slow learner but one crack on the jaw
loosened the cob webbs in my head.Semper Fi back at you,stay well...
thanks Dick Shewmake 04-21-10 7:15pm AZ time.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 AM

I was at PI in 1991, June 21-Sept 6. Basic was hard. My biggest mistake when I got there was thinking everything was one big mind game, and trying to blend in and not be noticed. Just be middle of the road and make it through in one piece. Well, that made me stick out more than being 6 ' 4" would. When we got to the rifle range I had my attitude adjusted in more ways than I can remember...shot expert and wsa squared away the rest of the cycle. I won the "Spirit Award" for most overall improved recruit in our Co. Proud of that.

We got thumped. Some worse than others. I got poked in the eye becuase my DI was so mad at me...I had found a uniform that was supposed to be a the tailor shop, but it was crammed in the bottom of my sea bag (we just got back from the range) and he bit his lower lip and pocked me right in the eye. I think he was trying to poke my forehead, as in to say "You dumbass!...i was sweaty and his finger slipped off my forehead and right into the top of my right eye.

Never in 1000 years would I have reported it or anything else that happened to us. We got hazed like it was no ones business, and I don't think anyone else would have either. We were becoming Marines and this was just part of it.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator

We had a saying,

that I am sure everyone had. What EVER it took to become a Marine, we took it.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 AM

Thumbs up

Some of the unpleasantries of boot camp helped me to be a better person today. Those things that stand out the most in my mind are 1) PT, 2) Sand Fleas, 3) In the summertime, P.I. is one hot place, 4) I was also scared to death of Senior DI Thompson.
(Remember, WMs' aren't promised a rose garden either.)
But, even today at 41, I can still do pushups better than most male counterparts in civilian life, (unless of course they're former marines), and at my present job, we need to requalify with weapons each year, and most former marines usually leave a fist size grouping center mass, (one fist sized hole in the middle of the target). P. S. I wouldn't have traded any of it for the world. Semper Fi / Regina Meunier

Last edited by rmeunier1; 08-06-2010 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Administrator

I suspect,

being a male or female has little to do with how tuff boot camp was. They (DI's) kicked all our asses, some more than others from what I remember. Being clasified as a shirtbird had NO extra benefits from what I remember, well other than getting extra attention.....OH HELL NO!!

Can only remember openning my mouth once in my 12 weeks of fun in the sun, NEVER did that again. Also like you I had one DI who scared the shit out of me until he hurt one recruit so bad they assigned him to another platoon. That was the best day in boot camp....well until Sgt Hill took over. He was fair in his treatment of us, the problem though was trying to keep up with this Marine. The man was an ANIMAL with PT.

Like you Regina, the Corps instilled so much in us during boot camp that most, if not all of use carried ourselves differently after boot camp. Even to this day at 63 I'm in better shape than most my age.

Semper Fi Marine

Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Talking Hollywood Marine

MCRD-San Diego/May 1966
I'll never forget the bus ride from the airport to MCRD, especially the DI's who boarded the bus. That's when the yelling began and the run to the yellow footprints. Since VietNam was raging, bootcamp had been reduced to 8 wks and we even had draftees (they were segregated).
I'd say Boot Camp was more of a mental challenge, although the physical part was difficult. Our DI's (like most) were brutal. One DI broke a kid's jaw and blood was gushing from his mouth for screwing up. One day, while sitting on bleachers during a class at the rifle range, I dropped my rifle through the bleachers and onto the ground. Crap!! The instructor rushed over, grabbed me by the collar and dragged me out of the bleachers. He made me field strip the M14 and open and close it 10 times, using the bridge of my nose. Needless to say, I ended up with a broken nose. Never dropped a rifle again! Another guy was made to read a "Dear John" letter he received in front of us during the evening. The next day, he blew his brains out during qualifying at the range. That was very tragic.
Overall, it was a great experience, as Boot Camp built a solid foundation for me as a Marine. Although those of us who graduated from MCRD San Diego were referred to as "Hollywood Marines", we had it tougher than the slackers at Camp Lejeune. We also had Camp Pendleton to endure in addition to our Boot Camp!! LOL!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Dear Greenhaven, - Hollywood Marine? Just an affectionate nickname. You guys were tough. Thanks for your Vietnam service. Semper Fi. / Regina Meunier USMC 1987-1991 (P.S. - I guess I was just a baby when you were over there.)
Old 08-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Administrator

rmeunier1

I see you're from Providence. That's where one of my favorite restaurants is. Hemenway's Restaurant. Back when I was working for NCR Corp., I used to go to one of their schools in Providence fairly often. I always made it a point to do dinner at Hemenway's Restaurant while I was there.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 AM

JITB, Excellent restaurant, plus several others, including Twin Oaks in neighboring Cranston. Which leads to, in spite of how tough boot camp may have been, the chow wasn't bad. Only wish we had more time to eat it. Regina M
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeunier1 View Post
which leads to, in spite of how tough boot camp may have been, the chow wasn't bad. Only wish we had more time to eat it.
"Take all you want but eat all you take!"

Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Unhappy

Learned early on that you don't waste the taxpayer's money. You take it, you eat it. If so much as one recruit broke this rule, we all paid for it. We all PT'd until most of us were puking up what we had eaten. Learned to take a little less in line, for 2 reasons; 1) So I could eat it all, 2) And in case we PT'd immediately after chow, I'd have a better chance at keeping it down. I guess it was just part of the Corps' weight control program. LOL / Semper Fi, Regina M
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Even back in 1958, WM's had some pretty physical training. After our graduation in December, they kept my platoon there another week so they would be able to give us holiday leave. To keep us busy, they put us on a detail delivering food to the messhalls on PI. One of them was the WM messhall. We usually got there when the woman recruits were out for PT. I was always surprised to see that the women got PT that seemed to be tougher than what we got in training!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Cool

JITB, Similarities far outweigh the differences when it comes to comparing male and female recruit training. Recruits are pushed both mentally and phsically. We've probably all at one time or another thought our gear was stowed, folded, and exactly as it was supposed to be, when it got tossed into the middle of the squad bay along with just about everyone else's. What a discouraging sight to see a mountain of gear piled up just waiting for us to sort it out. Do unlocked padlocks ring a bell? All those unlocked padlocks getting locked to each other and left on the deck for us to figure out. In 5 minutes, or it's off to the sand pit for PT. I wonder if this is why I still run in the AM, and hit the gym several times a week. Must be a glutton for punishment. / Semper Fi Regina M USMC 1987-1991
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Administrator

I must have been,

one of the lucky one's. Never had my shit dumped out, but I sure did pay the price when everyone else's had the stuff dumped on the deck.

A question does come to mind though, did WM's have to carry weapon's during boot camp like their male counterparts?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Gary, I guess that when it came to making a pile out of our personal gear, each DI had their own standards. Maybe it had something to do with the way their day was going. Our weapons became a part of us also. On some PT, but not all. When not used, weapons were secured to bunk. / Now, SDI Thompson had her own version of "This is my rifle, This is my gun", just for WM's. I need your permission to share it, but I will censor the parts that need censoring. Leaving soon for work. If I have the moderator's permission, will post it tomorrow. Semper Fi / Regina Meunier USMC 1987-1991
Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator

You have our permission,

to share ANYTHING you feel good about sharing Marine.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Administrator

How their day was going????

Maybe it had something to do with the way their day was going, if this was true then we had a bunch of DI's that had BAD days EVERYDAY. Never could figure out WHY they were ALWAYS pissed off at us. Little did we know it was how it was suppose to be. I will admit after the rifle range things got a LITTLE better. yuk yuk

Old 08-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namvet67 View Post
Funny story..LOL!! 16 weeks of boot? I only had 8 weeks! Tents? You might be old corps! Semper Fi Marine
I was with Hq.Bn. 11th Marines 1st Marine Div DaNang from March 67 to December 68....Semper Fi Brother...........