Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Devildog Discussion

Devildog Discussion [Main Page]
This forum is for those that belong to the Military Order of Devil Dogs. Post coming events as well as general discussions.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 AM

conceal & carry

Good Morning my Brothers:...I have a question for you guys that conceal & carry,like my self..I carry a Springfield XDS .45 APC..That being said...Here is the question...Do you consider a hand gun loaded with the mag in,but no round in the chamber...YES..I never carry a round in the chamber,when I am out and about..The ONLY time I have a round in the chamber is when I am home at night..What would your re-action time be if something did happen..I say 3 seconds..I have had my license now 15 years,and only had to use it 2 times,and both times the Seattle Police thanked me for being there....
Have a great day my brothers..

P.S. Jim..Give my best to Joan......
Old 04-29-2015, 10:32 AM

Yes
and thank yoi

Admiration of the Nation We’re the finest ever seen And we glory in the title Of United States Marines.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Carrying with a round in the chamber for me depends on what pistol I have on me. I do have a 1911 but I don't like the idea of carrying it cocked and locked. I also have a S&W and a Ruger (Both 45 ACP) that have a decocking feature. I prefer to carry them because I can decock them which means the first round would be double action and the rest would be single action. I also like that first round to be a jacketed hollowpoint with the rest of the magazine standard FMJ ball to insure good feeds.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:16 AM
Administrator

No matter if you have a concealed carry or not I don't think having a round in the chamber is a good idea from a safety standpoint.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 05-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Administrator

I don't agree! Pistols with a de-cocking feature usually don't even come with a safety. The only way that round is fired after the pistol has been de-cocked is by the double action trigger or by cocking the hammer if it is exposed.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Good Morning my Brothers..Washington State is an open and carry State,but you have to have a CWP to do so..You have a big responsibility when you open and carry here..I think it was last week here in Kent Wa,where these folks were sitting at a light,and this car pulls up and fires 3 or 4 rounds..They had there 11 month girl in a car seat in back..One of the rounds hit the little girl in head ,and she died right on the spot..Come to find out it was gang related,and they were never caught.This happens a lot around here....
Have a good weekend my Brother...Semper Fi...............

Gary and Jack..I agree with you both...
Old 05-02-2015, 09:02 AM
Administrator

It's unfortunate but it's becoming a dangerous world. I've had a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers since 1962 in Connecticut. It's strictly a CWP type of permit. Before I retired, I carried because I often had to go to some less than safe areas. After I retired, I seldom carried because I didn't go to bad areas anymore. But, now I carry more often because no area is 100% safe anymore. I usually carry a small .380 ACP unless I'm going to an area where I might need a weapon. Then I carry one of my 45 ACP's.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 AM

Brother Jack:..I couldn't agree with you more brother..There are a few bad ass areas around Seattle that I just don't go to..My daily carry is my S&W 9mm.Like you ,my first round is a hollow point,and the rest copper ball..You are right on the money..No place is 100% safe any more..Even my wife carries a Colt Mustang Plus 11 .380..She is not afraid to use it if it ever comes to that..Good hearing from ya Jack..Take care my friend....Semper Fi......
Stan
Old 05-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Administrator

I understand the point of having a round in the chamber, it's faster when ya need to use the weapon, I still consider it unsafe though. I've had this same discussion with the grandkids while teaching them how to shot and my response is always the same, it's a personal call.

If I did have a CCW it's hard to tell what I would carry. I have pistols of every caliber from 380 to daddy's best 1911-45. Problem with the 45 is she's heavy.

Couple of years ago had to buy the wife a new pistol (S&W snub nose 357 mag) because she could no long pull the slide on her S&W 9mm Auto. As I'm thinking about it I think I would carry her old 9mm, darn thing holds 18 rounds.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 05-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Connecticut's latest gun ban outlaws any magazine over 10 rounds. Lucky for me, I don't have any firearm that has a magazine that holds over ten rounds. My 45 ACP's are the choice for me since 7 or 8 rounds will do the job. I have been thinking about possibly getting a nice .38 Special though. I used to carry a Chiefs Special loaded with "SPECIAL" handloads. They were 148 grain hollow base wadcutters. But the wadcutters were turned around backwards so the hollowbase now became a hollowpoint. I used a pretty stiff load of powder behind it. It didn't have great penetration but would flatten out to about the size of a quarter on contact.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM

JITB..Jack.Does that include rifles..My AK-47 and AR-15 both have 40 round banana clips..
My Glock 23 .40 and my S&W 9mm both have 16 round mags.When I go to the police range,you can not rapid fire.You can only fire a round every 3 seconds.But.When we go up to mountains you can open up..The AR and AK will fire as fast as you pull the trigger.Fun,so I buy rounds in bulk..100 rounds of.223 is $50.00 and the AK is about the same.I thought about re-loading..Buying in bulk is cheaper,and I bring all the brass back and they give me a better deal.....Semper Fi brother
Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Yup! All rifles and pistols! In fact, the AR-15 and AK-47 are on the states latest gun ban as the state classifies them as Assault Rifles. When the law went into effect, people that owned the rifles and also had magazines that hold more than 10 rounds were supposed to register them. They could keep them but are prohibited from selling them to any other Connecticut resident. They can only sell them to a FFL dealer who can't sell them to a Connecticut resident.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:08 AM

JITB:...Jack..Here in Seattle you can buy any kind of assault rifle you want but they will cost you...Just to start is $1100.00 and go up from there..I have three..Uzi,AK-47 and my AR-15,and 7 hand guns..Have a great brother...Semper Fi........
Old 05-09-2015, 01:39 PM

where the hell is everyone........