Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > Announcements/Updates

Announcements/Updates [Main Page]
Announcements and News Posted Here -

Old 10-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Some things are not free!!

The follwing text is being send to members of the site via a direct email, this posting is for you non-members.

As the heading reads, some things are not free, Yellow footprints is one of them.

Since the inception of the web site back in 2002, until its opening on the internet on August 16th of 2006 to present day, all funding to operate the site has been the sole responsibly of this Marine.

In the beginning I knew this mission of collecting historical information on you Marines was going to be not only time consuming, but costly in many ways. I am fortunate to have a number of administrators who work many hours supporting the site and its mission, which they give freely with the only compensation being the satisfaction of supporting their brother and sister Marines.
Over the year’s we have lost only two administrators out of the 6 we have today, one due to retirement, the other due to time constraints with his daily life. Two more Marines quickly took their place that allows us to maintain our administration level at 6.

As the owner of the site, I continued to maintain the goal that this site would NEVER charge Marines for their use or access to the site, a goal still in place today. This was/is my commitment to my fellow Marines who come here. Even with the increase of server size for faster operation, and space for our growing boot camp database I refuse to consider charging Marines for something I think they have earned by being Marines.

Our goal of supporting you Marines and your history has grown to the point that a number of Marine Corps organizations now recognize Yellow footprints as a secondary resource for Marine Corps historical graduation books. Organizations like the Marine Corps historical Society, and soon the Marine Corps Command Museum.

None of this came easy, we all worked many hours in creating the boot camp database, which is the centerpiece of the site, not to mention the other features of the site.

There is no other place on the internet where this type of database can be found in the format we have. How many web sites do you know of that GIVES these books out free of charge to you Marines. No other place on the internet receives donated books and platoon pictures like we do that are then handed out FREE of charge to those that have earned them.

In all the years we have supported this mission I believe only once have we asked for donations. Asking for donation is especially hard during these times of high unemployment and hardship each of us are going through.
The facts are what they are, if this site is to continue its operations in support of our historical mission we need your help. I am asking for your support via donations, be it $5.00, $10.00. or $100.00. Donations will be used to pay our monthly hosting costs, and other overhead expenses. So there you have it
It is important that I express to you that we are NOT a non-profit organization, so your donation are not tax deductible. Give because you support our mission, not because you get a tax break.

Please send your check/money order made out to gmiller to:
Yellow Footprints
PO Box 341
Orangevale, Ca 95662

Comments, and or suggestions can be forwarded to gmiller@yellowfootprints.com

Thank You

Semper Fi all

Gary Miller
Owner/admin

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 10-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
The follwing text is being send to members of the site via a direct email, this posting is for you non-members.

As the heading reads, some things are not free, Yellow footprints is one of them.

Since the inception of the web site back in 2002, until its opening on the internet on August 16th of 2006 to present day, all funding to operate the site has been the sole responsibly of this Marine.

In the beginning I knew this mission of collecting historical information on you Marines was going to be not only time consuming, but costly in many ways. I am fortunate to have a number of administrators who work many hours supporting the site and its mission, which they give freely with the only compensation being the satisfaction of supporting their brother and sister Marines.
Over the year’s we have lost only two administrators out of the 6 we have today, one due to retirement, the other due to time constraints with his daily life. Two more Marines quickly took their place that allows us to maintain our administration level at 6.

As the owner of the site, I continued to maintain the goal that this site would NEVER charge Marines for their use or access to the site, a goal still in place today. This was/is my commitment to my fellow Marines who come here. Even with the increase of server size for faster operation, and space for our growing boot camp database I refuse to consider charging Marines for something I think they have earned by being Marines.

Our goal of supporting you Marines and your history has grown to the point that a number of Marine Corps organizations now recognize Yellow footprints as a secondary resource for Marine Corps historical graduation books. Organizations like the Marine Corps historical Society, and soon the Marine Corps Command Museum.

None of this came easy, we all worked many hours in creating the boot camp database, which is the centerpiece of the site, not to mention the other features of the site.

There is no other place on the internet where this type of database can be found in the format we have. How many web sites do you know of that GIVES these books out free of charge to you Marines. No other place on the internet receives donated books and platoon pictures like we do that are then handed out FREE of charge to those that have earned them.

In all the years we have supported this mission I believe only once have we asked for donations. Asking for donation is especially hard during these times of high unemployment and hardship each of us are going through.
The facts are what they are, if this site is to continue its operations in support of our historical mission we need your help. I am asking for your support via donations, be it $5.00, $10.00. or $100.00. Donations will be used to pay our monthly hosting costs, and other overhead expenses. So there you have it
It is important that I express to you that we are NOT a non-profit organization, so your donation are not tax deductible. Give because you support our mission, not because you get a tax break.

Yellow Footprints
PO Box 341
Orangevale, Ca 95662

Comments, and or suggestions can be forwarded to gmiller@yellowfootprints.com

Thank You

Semper Fi all

Gary Miller
Owner/admin

Cpl Miller USMC 1964 - 1970
I, like many others, have benefitted from this site. We who benefit, tend to forget or not even think about, the amount of time, energy and money it takes to operate an organization like this. Cpl Miller and the admins do all the work it takes to create and maintain this site because they are committed to its mission.....preserving Marines' history. They have been shouldering the burden by themselves for YEARS. It is only right. It is time to give back, to say thanks, to take part in the continuation of the site. Check, signed with love and thanks, will be in the mail. Geri
Old 10-30-2011, 02:44 PM

Got you covered. It's not much but it is a start.
Semper Fi
Old 10-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Donation have been

offered if it could be via PayPal. Never having a Paypal account I created one. Account name is: Yellow Footprints

I have NO clue how to use PayPal, so here's hoping you people do.

Gary
Admin

Old 10-31-2011, 03:37 AM
Administrator

I'll be sending you a check Gary. One question though. Should it be made out to "Gary Miller" or "Yellow Footprints"?

Old 10-31-2011, 05:26 AM

Arrow make checks Payable?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JITB View Post
I'll be sending you a check Gary. One question though. Should it be made out to "Gary Miller" or "Yellow Footprints"?
Jack, and all others,

Gary post this at the end of the original post but highlight the make check pable to portion....

Quote:
Yellow Footprints
PO Box 341
Orangevale, Ca 95662
MCL KC Det#766 - SGT-at-ARMS
MOS's4065/4063(First MOS 5541)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Update,

I'd like to thank each of you who have sent in emails about donations you are sending in. The emails I want to cover here are the ones from you Marines saying as soon as my SSI check comes in I'll send what I can.

OK there is a point that I have to step in here and say, your desire to donate to this site is soooooo appreciated. But not to the point that you are donating when on a fixed income like Social Security. The fact that you even want to donate gives creadit to who you are as Marines. Marines helping Marines

PLEASE, if you are on a limited income do not donate, just be here in hearts and minds, others will cover the donation part of this.....enough said

Carry On Marines!!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Administrator

PayPal update

Good morning everyone,

This post is directed to those of you who are using PayPal to make donations.

When we recieve these donations via Paypal other than the amount your donating, your name is the only other reference on the PayPal email to us. Without an email address there is now way to thank you for your donation.

Please know that we appreciated your donations and am sorry we can't respond to you directly with our appreication. Just know we DO appreciate what ever it is you have donated.

On another note, while I have your attention. Yesterday we recieved another group of books. Some are for posting in the database then are being returned to the owners. Others are being donated to the site for distribution to you Marines. We should have this new group of books scanned and added to the database by the end of this weekend.

Semper Fi

Carry On Marines!!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Checks recieved

A number of you have been kind enough to send in donation, unfortunately those checks made out to YFP will need to be sent back, we do not have a checking account that would simply add to our overhead. Those donations via PayPal, and checks made out to gmiller will be added to the donation pool. The pool so far is around $55.00, not great but it is what it is during these hard times....thanks to all

Thanks again everyone

Carry On Marines!!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Smile

Check your paypal, I put in a small amount and will add to it next month. Semper Fi!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Jim,

Yes your donation has been noted and added to the pool, thanks again for your support.

More checks where recieved this morning with those checks made out to YFP mailed back to there respective senders with a thanks for your support note enclosed.

Next week I will post a complete accounting of what has been donated with NO names mentioned. Those that have donated will hear from me directly via snail mail.

Whether you've donated money or simply expressed your support of the mission at hand. Please know we appreciate your support.

Gary
Admin

Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Donation update

As of this date (11/5/11) we have recieved $440.00, this does not include those checks (3) returned due to the payee being YFP.

As donations come in I will keep you abreast of the donation amount.

Even though I am sending out letters of appreciation I would again like to extent my appreciation for those that have donated, and those that simply sent letters, and emails expressing the desire to donate but do not have the funds to do so.

In case your wondering, it's not the money that keeps us motivated, it's knowing you're out there supporting the work we do.

Returning history to you Marines via this mission makes us want to work even harder, IF that's possible. ha

Thanks again all

Carry On Marines!!

Last edited by Cpl Miller; 11-05-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Correction,

The above amount ($440.00) did not include those donations given via PayPal in the amount of ($55.00), bringing a total of $495.00.

Carry On Marines!!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Sorry about the delay Gary! I made up an envelope but forgot about it. Check is on the way.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Not to worry Jack,

Thanks

Gary

Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Donation update

Donations sent in via snail mail, and Paypal presently stands at $730.00.

Your donations in support of the site and our mission are greatly appreciated, thanks again.

Gary
Admin

Old 11-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Hit the Post Office yesterday,

Among the checks for various amounts was one for $1000.00. This check has taken our donation pool to $2005.00.

As donation’s come in we will be using these funds to cover site cost, and depending how much we receive I want to use some of this money to cover costs for site upgrades if we have enough to do that.

A number of emails we have recieved suggest we add advertising like banner ads, and other forms of advertising to bring in more funding. I have maintained from the beginning that I did not want to clutter up the site with banner ads. I have a hard enough time asking for donations, I do not want this site to turn into a commercial site just to generate money.

This is a historical web site, and as such has no place for banner ads of any kind, or any other type of money generating programs some have suggested…….Enough said on this subject

Moving forward however we are considering taking the site in a couple of directions, one is a completed site redesign to make the web site easer to navigate, make it faster loading when you visit, and adding a Flash intro page for a new graphics front-end.

Presently the site runs using a large number of scripts, these scripts add a lot to the loading time, and server processing time. A new site redesign would do a couple of things here. As mentioned above, re-designing the site would make it easier to navigate, add features that would drive more Marines to the site like Marine TV etc.

Presently we use Vbulletin for the site layout, from the front page we move to the different sections of the site like the boot camp database, or the forums, which would not change. These features will stay the same. I am referring to the layout like buttons you see under the main menu on the main page. The overall look of the main page is what we are looking at changing.

The site also needs some sort of front-end intro page that would bring the site alive when people visit. Intro pages always have a SKIP Intro button so you will not have to watch it every time you stop in. Even the Marine Corps web site has some great intro graphics. All this is nothing more than eye candy to most, but it does add a bit more to see for those new visitors.

We will never get the word out about the site and our mission if the site is not interesting enough for those that come here. We do not advertise in Leatherneck Mag or the Marine Corps gazette due to funding, so we have to rely on you Marines to pass the word.

If you have experience in Flash, or web site development, or you just want to add your two cents worth on these new ideas, or you want to donate your time in supporting this mission you can reach me at: gmiller@yellowfootprints.com

Thanks to all for your support.

Semper Fi

Carry On Marines!!

Gary
Cpl Miller

Old 11-14-2011, 12:03 PM

like, Like, LIKE

Ya need a like button ....... or maybe a fantastic button .... or how about an awsome one ?!! Just sayin' --- for those of us who are lazy, it would be an easy way to send a huge thank you to all who have donated.

The donations will help ensure that the site continues to grow and the historic collection remains accessible to all.

So since you don't have the button .....LIKE, LIKE, LIKE !!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Administrator

What????

do you think this is FACEBOOK????????? ha ha ha

I could only wish for that kind of exposure.

Gary
Admin

Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Pushing,

back to the top for one last time....thanks all