Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > Announcements/Updates

Announcements/Updates [Main Page]
Announcements and News Posted Here -

Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

Heads UP

I wanted to give everyone a heads up.... After years of moving around from one server to another Cpl Miller has at last agreed to moving this web page and others to a new home that can support him.

The web pages have grown so big over the years with the yearbook files and others that it became too costly for him to continue the way he was going now that he was forced to retire.

We will be moving all the web pages to my "private" server at no cost to Cpl Miller. I have been trying to get him to move for years.

Once the "New" move is completed (with in the next few days) you should see no differences. All he links and web pages will stay the same.

Gary will be giving more details shortly.

Chuck Edmonds, Major, USMC, Retired
Administrator, Yellowfootprints.com

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Chuck is correct in his comment about offering to host the site and it's rather large database over the years.

Like asking for donations, I've always felt this mission of returning history to be a personal expenditure on my part. No one should have to pay to get their piece of history back. Also with all the behind the scenes work Chuck has done over the years with him stepping up to the plate so many times I didn't feel right in taking him up on his offer to host the site on his personal server. Time has come that I can no longer foot this mission alone.

What also helped me make the decision was the response I received from those I sent an email out explaining why the site will be going down due to the lack of funds. The overwhelming response was "you can't do that" (shut things down), the site and the historical value is just to great.

For those that wonder just how big a deal is our database let me put things into perspective....What I would call a normal database would take MAYBE an hour to backup, our's on the other hand has taken something like 14 hours.

So in the end you our members, and those that visit will not see any change, things will look the same.

For those that volunteer your time in supporting our mission and in some cases money I will continue to appreciate all you do. Over the years we have made many friends and made many more Marines happy with our work.

Semper Fi all and Thanks a million Chuck.

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Reminder,

We are in the middle of transferring this site to a new server so the site may go down for a day or two while the transfer happens.

Admin

Old 03-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Administrator

OK people we are back on line with the new server thanks to a LOT of work from Chuck and company (Jon). This move wasn't an easy one for there were a number of code changes and links to fix.

Not sure if Thank You can cover all the work these two did in bringing this site back on line but THANKS is all we have to offer.

You two have AGAIN saved the day......Semper Fi

Old 03-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Post email

Gary even your post email works. I received a post email after you made your post.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Administrator

When I try to access or receive mail from YFP it does not on my end..

Old 03-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Miller View Post
Chuck is correct in his comment about offering to host the site and it's rather large database over the years.

Like asking for donations, I've always felt this mission of returning history to be a personal expenditure on my part. No one should have to pay to get their piece of history back. Also with all the behind the scenes work Chuck has done over the years with him stepping up to the plate so many times I didn't feel right in taking him up on his offer to host the site on his personal server. Time has come that I can no longer foot this mission alone.

What also helped me make the decision was the response I received from those I sent an email out explaining why the site will be going down due to the lack of funds. The overwhelming response was "you can't do that" (shut things down), the site and the historical value is just to great.

For those that wonder just how big a deal is our database let me put things into perspective....What I would call a normal database would take MAYBE an hour to backup, our's on the other hand has taken something like 14 hours.

So in the end you our members, and those that visit will not see any change, things will look the same.

For those that volunteer your time in supporting our mission and in some cases money I will continue to appreciate all you do. Over the years we have made many friends and made many more Marines happy with our work.

Semper Fi all and Thanks a million Chuck.

Cpl Miller was just a little off. What normally would take a day or two to copy and load the data base to the new server took more then a total of a week. But that is in the past. Lets look to the future and more history as it is made.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

"You" have moved

As of this date (March 29, 2015) Yellowfootprints.com has a new home on another new server.

When viewing the web page you will not see any changes except for one that will soon be fixed (the problem is with the links on militarycommcenter) But this is a easy problem to overcome.

Thank you all for your Patience while this move was made.