Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Channel

Open Channel [Main Page]
Communicate with your Brothers/sister Marines.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Cool Gun Talk

As I know we have a lot of shooters and hunters here, I figured I'd start a thread about firearms and see where it goes.

In the latest American Rifleman, they've reviewed S&W's new 45 ACP. They praise it and the article almost sold me on it until I saw it was a double action only semi-auto pistol. I like the 45 ACP pistols that have the de-cock feature and are double action only for the first round. To me, those features make it a better carry or home security pistol. I prefer the 45 ACP to other pistol cartridges and love the Ruger and S&W I have with those features.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Great idea Jack,

My problem with the 45 is it's heavy, and the weapon only carries so many rounds.

The Smtih and Wesson automatic on the other hand is a dream pistal. My wifes has an older model that carries 17 - 9mm rounds. The darn thing has never mis-fired no matter how fast you shoot off rounds.

I also have a Rugar Black Hawk 357 Mag. Problem with that weapon is the expense of the ammo. 9mm and 45 are pretty cheap still today.

For longer range shooting I like my Garand, but my 1917 Enfield bolt action 30/06 makes my old M-14 look like a rock thrower. That enfield is so accurite it's hard to believe for such an old weapon.

I'm still looking for advice on a good .223 rifle though. The Ar-15 looks like a good candidate but the weapon is slighty out of my reach cost wise. I know Remington has a pump .223 for about $800.00, but would like to have something a little more semi-auto.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Cool With a 45 ACP, you don't need many rounds!

When I carry mine, I usually have a 200 grain jacketed hollowpoint chambered for the first round. I load my clip with standard 45 ACP Ball. I don't really expect a bad guy to be standing for the full clip.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I figure once..

I slam home the slide, if the sucker is still standing there he deserves the WHOLE ball of wax so to speak.
Can't do that with the Rugar 357 unless I pull two clicks back on the hammer and spin the cylindar for effect. ha ha

I've always told the wife, keep the slid open on your shotgun so the bastard can hear you slam home a round. Time to kiss his butt goodby

Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Administrator

Cool With the exception of penetrating too many walls...

The M1 Garand is a great house gun. The sound of that bolt going home is not something an intruder wants to hear. He may not know it's a M1 Garand but he will know its something he doesn't want to contend with unless he's an idiot.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 PM
booksbenji

Ruger Mini 14

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm

I like 18" barreled shot guns and #4 Buck for house defense!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Re: Ruger Mini 14

Quote:
Originally posted by booksbenji
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_RanchRifle.htm

I like 18" barreled shot guns and #4 Buck for house defense!
roger that the only way to go..

Admiration of the Nation Weíre the finest ever seen And we glory in the title Of United States Marines.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Cool I've only got one problem with using a shotgun for home security

My wife hates it when I sleep with one under my pillow!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 AM

I never leave home without one. I mainly carry a Clock 26 in a pocket holster. Here is a picture of part of my collection.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Ya I can see it now Jack,

Wife wakes you up in the middle of the night hearing God knows what. You grab the M1, while walking down the hall your knocking pictures off the walls with the barral.

I still say the Smith and Wesson is the way to go, besides, I can't fit an M1 UNDER my pillow. ha ha

Attached is the wifes little charmer.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Makes me wonder where Born To Be A Ma,

lives. Here in California you'd go to jail for most of your weapons.......I like the third one down though. Have the M1, dream of owning an M-14.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 PM

I like my Kimber .45 I could shoot it all day. I also do all my own reloading, started reloading for my Ruger .454 and ended up buying dies for all my weapons
Old 04-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Administrator

I'd,

like to see a picture of the Kimber .45, not sure I've seen one before. But then again I'm not a big pistal kind of guy.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 PM

I also live in Ca., they were bought and registered before Ca. started their weapons restrictions.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 AM

I still swear by...........

the .45 ACP. I love my old Llama. If I need more than 7 rounds, I shouldn't be shooting. Besides I've got 2 extra mags. You can also buy high capacity .45s. There is no better knock-down power than the .45.

SF, Jay
Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Cool Yup!

I figure if you go lower than a .44 or .45 caliber, you need the extra rounds for stopping power. Of course, I used to carry a little S&W Chief's Special that was .38 Special. But, it was loaded with 148 grain hollow base wadcutters with the bullet turned around backwards so the hollow base was forward. Behind it was a mix load of powder that was pretty hefty. A couple of cop friends of mine asked me for a few rounds of my "Special" load to carry in their wheel guns. The load didn't have great penetration but flattened out to about quarter size on impact.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

From a survivalest stand point,

all this high powered stuff i.e. 45, 44, etc are heavier weapons to carry, and the ammo is just as heavy.
If one had to head out into the bush with all the weight we carry in our backpacks I'd rather carry more ammo in a smaller cal. It's one reason I'm looking for a lighter rifle than the Garand or my 30/06 Enfield.
NEVER thought I'd be thinking of buying an AR-15 after the crap the AR-16 gave us in Nam when they first came out. With the .223 round, and mag capacity it almost seems like the right choice for a rifle. Unless you guys got a better choice for the money, speak up.

If I wanted knock down power at a distance, I'd have to use my Ruger Blackhawk that has a 6 1/2 inch barral and fires 357 mag rounds. The 6 1/2 in barral gives me reach out, and the mag round has the punch when it gets there. I don't think you can say that about the 45 acp past 50 yards.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:40 PM

50 yards?

Truth is most gunfights are within 8-20 feet. For 50 yards yer definitely wanting a rifle.

SF, Jay
Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Cool Jay speaks the truth!

I've gotta say that I've done some 50 yard shooting with a pistol but pressure shots are not easy. And, the closer a bad guy is, the more stopping power I want. There have been a lot of cases where bad guys have kept right on coming after being hit mutiple times with under .40 caliber rounds. At 10 feet or less, I want that round to take him down without worrying about follow up rounds.

As far as a .223 Remington goes, it's a good varmint cartridge but not great for heavier targets. They do have some loads developed for the military that have a little beef to them but they don't recommend them for many sporting rifles. If you want a field rifle, there are a lot of good options as far as lighter rifles and ammo goes. What do you want the rifle for?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

First let me respond to,

the comments about pistilís and the range they are used for.

Although I agree with both of your assessments as to targets and their distances, I also look for ammo availability and cost. 9mm ammo is cheap, whereas 45 acp are more expensive, are no longer us, and world wide calibers like they were back in say Korea, or Viet Nam.
In todayís world itís the 9mm or 40cal that are standards. I guess the difference in my case is the ability to pick up police type 9mm rounds i.e. hollow nose.

As for my needs in a rifle, let me first say that my weapons need in the area of rifles is for protecting my family, in house invasions, surviving in the bush for what ever reason.
I want something that is not to heavy to carry. I also want a weapon for ranges up to 300 yards.
My Enfield and Garand are 500 yard type weapons with heavy rounds (30/06). Both these weapons are hard on the shoulder for my wife to shoot although she is a great shooter with both rifles. For all around use I think the .223 round and something like the AR-15 would fit all my requirements. I've never fired a .223 round but am sure it doesn't kick like my heavy cal weapons.

If any of you can think of a better rifle or round, please let me know, Iím open to suggestions.