Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Marines Only

Marines Only [Main Page]
If you have not earned the title U.S. Marine do not post in this forum.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Marine commissioned by his father-in-law

Marine commissioned by his father-in-law

By Nancy Quick
For the Daily Tribune

PORT EDWARDS -- Being commissioned an officer into the U.S. Marine Corps, especially when you plan on making it a career, is a pretty big deal. When you ask your father-in-law to do the commissioning, it's an even bigger deal.

2nd Lt. Sean Leahy, 25, a 1998 graduate of John Edwards High School, Port Edwards, recently received his commission from Steve Day of Port Edwards, the father of his wife, Meghan, 27, a 1997 graduate of JEHS.

"Any military officer, active or reservist, can commission an officer in any service," Day said.

Day said it was somewhat unusual for a member of another branch of service to do the commissioning, but the new officer can request anyone to do it.

"I was honored when he asked," Day said.

The ceremony took place Dec. 22 in Veterans Park in Waukesha, not far from the home where the couple has lived for some time.

"It was important to have the ceremony there, even though the weather didn't cooperate," Day said. "The park has monuments recognizing all five military services."

There were approximately 25 people at the ceremony, including Marines from Leahy's reserve unit in Madison, the couple's parents and other family members.

"I haven't met a finer officer than Capt. Day," Leahy said. "Besides being my father-in-law, he is a model of what I want to be. I am impressed with him in everything he does."

Leahy is the son of Tom and Laura Leahy, now living in Gilmer, Texas. Meghan is the daughter of Steve and Shari Day of Port Edwards.

Sean and Meghan were married Memorial Day weekend 2005 at St. John's Military Academy in Delafield. They will spend the next six months in Quantico, Va., where Leahy will attend The Basic School. There will be additional training in the months following.

Leahy played hockey after high school then began his military career as an ROTC student at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. He later was affiliated with the Madison Marine Reserve Unit. He attended boot camp in San Diego and completed Officer Candidate School in August. In December he graduated from UW-Whitewater.

Leahy is from a military family. His father is a graduate of the Naval Academy at Annapolis and was a Marine, departing the Corps as first lieutenant. Sean's grandfather was a staff sergeant in the Marines from 1945 to 1952, serving in Korea. Sean's brother, Billy, is a third-year cadet at West Point and he received Sean's first salute.

"The first salute is significant, and Sean wanted to receive that from his brother," Day said.

Day is a captain in the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve, assigned to the Pacific Area. He spends one weekend a month in Alameda, Calif., as a reserve officer. His father made the U.S. Army his career, and his two brothers served in the Coast Guard. Day and one brother remain active reservists. The three brothers have more than 100 years of Coast Guard service between them. His sister served in the Air Force and National Guard.

Day was called to active duty during the Gulf War and in 1991 spent time in Damman, Saudi Arabia. He was called again in 2003 during Iraqi Freedom.

"I was assigned to the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., and that was a fascinating assignment," he said. He is employed by Domtar in Port Edwards.

With all of the military experience between the two families, it is not unusual that Sean and Meghan have started on this journey together. And, Day is quick to let people know the importance of their working together.

"She has an important role in the success of the marriage and his career," he said. "This is a team effort. There will be challenging times, but when you marry into the military, it's part of the deal.

"Shari and I are extremely proud of Sean and Meghan," Day said.

Last edited by cmyr; 12-25-2008 at 12:42 PM.