Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Navy (Corpsman)

Navy (Corpsman) [Main Page] This forum is dedicated to those Navy (Corpsman) who put their lives on the line to save every Marines life in combat.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Administrator

A Real Hero

Guest column: Mr. Favre, take time to meet a real hero
July 26, 2008

I am writing this letter to Brett Favre, the Green Bay Packers and the people of Wisconsin.

America looks at professional athletes as heroes. They turn a blind eye to their behaviors both on and off the field. Men make millions of dollars and act like spoiled children.

The media is treating this Favre thing like it is a national tragedy a quarterback for a football team playing a game. I know a 20-year-old man who was making $15,000 a year, did things that potentially saved hundreds of American lives and is given no more than a passing thought by most people, at best.

Much is made of Brett playing in 253 straight games. This young man went on 240 missions in six months, helping to clear 10,000 pounds of net explosives. Brett practices in an air-conditioned arena. Luke worked in 120-degree heat for four months, 24 hours a day.

Brett played through injuries, Luke treated 80-plus casualties in a war zone, many by putting himself in danger. Brett goes to battle with his weapons beside him each Sunday. Luke carried his weapon with him every day: his strength and honor.

Brett can be explosive; Luke helped remove explosives that were intended to kill Americans.

My son Luke was killed by an IED (improvised explosive device) two hours before his replacement was to take over on March 2, 2007. He had just turned 21.

I have been a Packers fan all my life, as was Luke. Luke idolized Brett Favre. He called from Iraq one day and half way through the conversation he said, "You know what yesterday was? Brett's birthday." His friends started a group of Packer Backers in his honor.

How can I continue to watch football when you all talk about dignity and commitment but don't know the meaning of the words? Packers, you want to do something heroic? Join the Marines and kill the enemies of our country. Otherwise pretend you have some honor, make a commitment, do your job and act like you want to set an example for America.

Brett, you retired. You want to come back? Shut up, earn your job back and act like you are worthy of being my son's hero.

Wesley Emch of Brimfield, Ohio, describes himself as the "proud father of a Devil Doc." His son, Hospitalman Lucas Emch, was a hospital corpsman assigned to 1st Marine Logistics Group, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...=2008307260044