Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Open Channel

Open Channel [Main Page]
Communicate with your Brothers/sister Marines.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM

VA Recognizes Agent Orange Link to More Diseases

VA Recognizes Agent Orange Link to More Diseases
By Army Sgt. 1st Class Michael J. Carden
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Nov. 20, 2009 – An independent study by the Institute of Medicine last month resulted in broadened health coverage by the Veterans Affairs Department for Vietnam War veterans who were exposed to Agent Orange.

Research found that three illnesses – B cell leukemias, Parkinson’s disease and ischemic heart disease -- possibly are associated with Agent Orange exposure. Those conditions join a list of related diseases for which Vietnam War veterans already receive compensation, such as prostate cancer, respiratory cancers, soft-tissue sarcomas, Hodgkin’s disease, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and multiple myeloma.

Veterans who served in Vietnam between 1962 and 1975 may qualify for monthly disability compensation and do not have to provide proof they were exposed to Agent Orange to qualify for health benefits.

“We must do better reviews of illnesses that may be connected to service, and we will,” VA Secretary Eric K. Shinseki said in statement released last month. “Veterans who endure health problems deserve timely decisions based on solid evidence.”

The U.S. military used Agent Orange herbicides in the Vietnam conflict from 1961 to 1971 to clear foliage that provided enemy cover. VA officials estimate that about 2.6 million military personnel who served in Vietnam were affected.

U.S. Rep. Bob Filner, House Veterans Affairs Committee chairman, released a statement today calling for additional support of the Agent Orange Equity Act of 2009. The bill expands eligibility for presumptive conditions to veterans who were not directly “boots on the ground,” such as sailors and pilots.

Current law suggests that location of service in Vietnam affects some of the qualifications for Agent Orange compensation.

“Time is running out for these Vietnam veterans,” Filner said. “Many are dying from their Agent Orange-related diseases, uncompensated for their sacrifice. If, as a result of service, a veteran was exposed to Agent Orange, and it has resulted in failing health, this country has a moral obligation to care for each veteran the way we promised we would.”

About 800,000 Vietnam veterans are estimated to be alive today and eligible for treatment for Agent Orange-related illnesses. According to VA’s Web site, the department presumes all military members who served in Vietnam were exposed to Agent Orange. Also, some children of female Vietnam veterans may qualify for compensation, based on birth defects associated with the chemicals.

Related Sites:
Veterans Affairs Office of Public Health and Environmental Hazards
Department of Veterans Affairs

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=56801

Admiration of the Nation We’re the finest ever seen And we glory in the title Of United States Marines.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 AM

And now Okinawa, Guam and Thailand. vets from this same time frame are eligible . a case has been won for a Marine he was assigned to the U.S. Marine Corp’s 4thAMTrac Bn(Reinf), ForTrps, FMF

http://www.2ndbattalion94thartillery...as/guambva.htm
Old 12-05-2009, 02:10 PM

I was in the VA hospital with a roommate veteran and he had huge chunks of meat cut out of his legs. Works something like a flesh eating bacteria or a cancer. The Doctors just keep bringing him back and cutting, cutting and more cutting.
His legs looked worse than if he stepped on a landmine and I grieved for him.
When I came out of the hospital, I was out front waiting on my transportation and I saw a young man, perhaps in his mid 20's digging around in the trash cans out front.
He kept exploring until he came to a bag with some garbage in it which he quickly consumed.
My ride showed up and I didn't get a chance to talk with him but Gwad, here is a able bodied vet (?) capable of working, eating out of a garbage can.
I didn't get his story, but there is no excuse for getting that down and out.
BTW, there are a lot of non-vets who prowl the halls asking for a hand out.
These parasites I give nothing to.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM

cannoncocker, i roger that in wisc. we see this type all the time..

Admiration of the Nation We’re the finest ever seen And we glory in the title Of United States Marines.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:03 PM

AGENT ORANGE ASSOCIATED DISORDERS APPROVED BVA DECISIONS OUTSIDE OF VIETNAM

IN ORDER BELOW OF:

GUAM - DIABETES TYPE II
Thailand - malignant lymphoma
Okinawa - PROSTATE CANCER

Democrat Senator B.J. (D) Cruz is requesting a congressional investigation into the use of Agent Orange on Guam. The candidate for lieutenant governor is basing his inquiry on a United States Court of Appeals for veterans claims ruling that acknowledged claims of Agent Orange exposure from an air force veteran while stationed at Andersen Air Force Base in the mid-1960's.

According to Senator Cruz this is the first acknowledgement by a federal agency that Agent Orange was used on Guam.

Now they, (our government) have known about the use and storage for drop ship to Vietnam on Guam for decades. Many Veterans have sent in photos of Agent Orange and White on Guam.

Only the United States Government can spend millions of dollars cleaning up the toxic chemical mess on Guam and then deny the existence of the toxic chemicals even being there. Pacific Dailey News had many articles on this subject.

Agent Orange on Guam confirmed
By Mar-Vic Cagurangan
Variety News Staff
A U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans’ ruling in 2005, which concluded that a veteran contracted a disease as a result of his exposure to Agent Orange while stationed on Guam in the late 1960s, is a confirmation that toxic herbicide agents had been used on Guam, Sen. Benjamin Cruz, D-Piti, said on Wednesday.