Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > The Polling Booth

The Polling Booth [Main Page]
Join in with your ratings and opinions to posted polls.

View Poll Results: How long did you serve in the Corps?
One Tour 48 54.55%
Two or more tours but didn't retire from the Corps 24 27.27%
20 Years 14 15.91%
30 Years 2 2.27%
Medically Retired (Combat Wounded or other service related injury) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Yup! caltrap! Lighten up! Anyone that earned their Eagle, Globe and Anchor is welcome. It's not our policy to look down on any Marine. Just because somebody asks a little bit about you doesn't mean they are out to get you.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Administrator

No one cares,

how long you were in the Corps, a Marine is a Marine. Like Jenks says, this question is a simple way to tell others what kind of experience you had in the Corps, nothing more.

Carry On Marines!!

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Yup! There are many Marines that certainly have bragging rights because of what they did. There are many Marines that didn't experience the things that other Marines have. Just about all Marines have "Sea Stories" to tell. We respect and honor all Marines and enjoy whatever they have to say. One of the things I enjoy the most about being in the Marine Corps League is our little get-togethers after our business meetings where sea stories are frequent and we hear what each Marine did while they were in the Corps.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 PM

I don't believe any Marine has "bragging Rights" except possibly those with the MOH and I've never met a man with the MOH who wasn't quiet and humble.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Administrator

GunnySan, you apparently didn't know Mike Clausen! He pulled around eight wounded Marines that were stuck in a minefield and in a firefight in Vietnam. He got the MOH but nobody that knew him would call him "quiet and humble". Sadly, he passed away a few years ago but his name still comes up over at TWS and Poppasmoke often.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:23 PM

True, I never knew him. I was referring to humility and quietness regarding their combat actions. Maybe he was the exception?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Mike was proud of what he did to get his MOH and wouldn't hesitate to show somebody a copy of his citation. He often filled in some of the things that were not mentioned in the citation. Like telling the pilot of the chopper that he would blow his head off with the 45 in his hand if the pilot took off before Mike got all of the Marines aboard.

But, I do know what you mean. My father in law was in the 101st Airborne when they were trapped in Bastogne. He told me many of the things he did while he was in. But, it was one of his buddies in the unit that told me that Ed took out a German tank with a satchel charge. When Ed heard him tell me about it, he told me he didn't like to tell people some of the real crazy stuff he did.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Started on the Footsteps in November, '67 MCRDSD. After ITR and Schools at Pendleton, It was off to MTM co, 1st FSR/FLC DaNang RVN until April, 1970. My MOS was not critical (3516) and was released back to the "World". Honorably Discharged, August 1973.

Semper Fi

RHB
Old 06-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Ricbak welcome home. Job well done. Semper Fi
Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbak View Post
. My MOS was not critical (3516) .

Semper Fi

RHB
Every MOS is critical when needed. Men and supplies can move on foot, but it's a hell of a lot faster with MT and a lot easier on the bodies. A bit rough hauling 105s and 155s without trucks.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Administrator

I had a disagreement with a former Recon Marine when a Marine Reserve truck driver joined our MCL detachment back in 2004. He had made a comment that "truck drivers" didn't see real combat. I pointed out to him that a large percentage of the Marines getting wounded or killed in Iraqi Freedom were being killed or wounded by IED's and attacks on trucks. Today's Marines face challenges that past Marines didn't experience at the same level. The Corps can take credit for the training all Marines get whether they are in combat units or not.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM

I was in for six years all in a supply Mos but pulled security Guard duty for a year and did my final two years at Parris Island running cash sales in Mens clothing and then six months in housing because of a disagreement with a butterbar right out of OCS.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Four years. 1986 - 1990
MCRD San Diego
MP School at Lackland AFB Mar Det B Camp Lackland
MWSS 272/PMO MCAS New River 2 1/2 years
MP Co. 3rd FSSG Okinawa for the last year. Spent most of the year FAPed to PMO and was assigned to Joint Services by the Gunny who thought I needed a break from the road after New River. I was caught up in troop cuts as an MP and had to get out. I miss it every day especially the Brotherhood.
Semper FI
Old 06-25-2009, 06:27 PM

How long...?

PEBD of 13 Mar 1969
AD from 06 July 1969 to 01 Oct 1975.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 AM

Interesting, the differences between saying "A Marine is a Marine" and the way people REALLY react when they find out someone wasn't in very long.

Take me.
One year. That's it.
Husband had orders as a single guy, we got married, I was pregnant and he was leaving in a week. Time to get me into a place out in town? Nope. Stay in the baracks? Not with a baby which was due before he returned. So out it was.

Do I feel any less a Marine than the rest of you? Not at all. My heart was given to my Corps the day I earned the title.

But the real point is, for many, many people who say "there's no difference", I see it in their eyes when I tell them "A year". Like I shouldn't be so in love with my Corps, now 29 years later. Like somehow I'm not Marine 'enough'.

So, just food for thought. Semper Fi, brothers.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM

FormerWM

I can understand your feelings. I served 22 years active. Sometimes I relate differently to others who also served to retirement as opposed to those who served a hitch or two. It's our nature. It does not mean I think less of those who served less. The important thing is they completed Boot Camp, earned the title and SERVED as MARINES. How long the service was doesn't really make a difference. We all get a 3-volley salute and TAPS.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Administrator

I think one of the reasons I ended up focusing so much on the Marine Corps League out of all the Veteran organizations I belong to is because everyone is accepted based on the fact they earned the EGA. Many Marines in the MCL have gone on to high positions in the League even though they may have only did a couple of years in the Corps.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Re The Marine Corps League

That's exactly right. When we enter the meeting hall all ranks and TIS, combat or non-combat stays outside. Makes no difference, 90 days or 90 years, Male or Female, everyone equal.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Yup! In our detachment, we have a number of one tour Marines, Reserve Marines that were in at a time when it was unusual to have more than a couple of months of active duty and an assortment of retired Staff NCO's and Officers. I've always been impressed with how much effort some Marines will put into charitable efforts of the detachment. In many cases, the Marines with the least amount of time in the Corps put in the most effort.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

Fifteen years, half of that active duty, and it was quite a ride. I served in 2/1 1st MarDiv from Sep 76 to Jun 81 as both a mortarman (0341) and armorer (2111, though not a primary mos for me). Moving to the other side of the Land of the Great PX, I served as both a mortar section leader (81mm) and again as an armorer in 3/2 (Jun 81 to Mar 83).

I joined the Illinois National Guard (forgive me Chesty!) from Feb 87 to Aug 90; came to my senses and got back in the Corps, serving in VMGR-234 (Aug 90 to Feb 93). VMGR-234 moved from NAS Glenview to NAS Dallas, so I went back to an infantry unit - Weapons Company 2/24 in Waukegan IL where I served as an enlisted platoon commander.

I was in college, and transfered to the University of Illinois in an engineering program. When I made the move from the community college I attended, the bar was raised significantly, and I had to pull several irons out of the fire, so after 15 years total time (12 in the Corps), I hung my blues in the closet permanently.

No regrets, and I'd do it again in a freaking heartbeat. I miss it (not all of it - and those who've served know what I'm talking about), especially the Marines I served with. Sure, there were some morons along the way (who generally didn't last long), but on the whole, I was honored to serve with and stand in the company of great men.

Semper Fidelis,
Dick Wangler