Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > The Polling Booth

The Polling Booth [Main Page]
Join in with your ratings and opinions to posted polls.

View Poll Results: How long did you serve in the Corps?
One Tour 48 54.55%
Two or more tours but didn't retire from the Corps 24 27.27%
20 Years 14 15.91%
30 Years 2 2.27%
Medically Retired (Combat Wounded or other service related injury) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

How long did you serve in the Corps

How about a little background on what you did in the Corps and how long you served?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:57 AM
Administrator

Hmmm....

well, let's see..... it's been a while.....

Along the way, there were stints as a legal clerk, an RS waivers clerk and then the RS Ops Chief, a central files clerk, and the job of being in charge of assigning graduating DIs to the battalion that they would serve in. There was a stint as a Regimental S-3 clerk during the rewrite of the SOP to align the training between the two depots. Then there were jobs as a Squadron Admin Chief, the orders/passport clerk while in Okinawa, and the early morning jobs of working up the daily message board for several COs. And how could I forget the many classroom hours working with receiving and graduating recruits, making sure the paperwork in their SRBs was correct.

Just some of the jobs I held while being an admin pogue during my enlistments.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

My time in the Corps...

Joined the Corps in 1964 at the young age of 16, hit boot camp (San Diego) 30 days after my 17th birthday.
After boot I was attached to the 1st Marine Division at Camp Pendleton (Supply company, Supply Bn).

On June 1st 1965 the 1st Marine Div. packed up and shipped out to Viet Nam on troop ships.
Hit Okinawa on June 23rd where anyone under the age of 18 were re-assigned to shore companies, you had to be 18 to be in a combat zone, I was 7 DAYS short of my 18th birthday so didn't make the beachhead landing at Da Nang, Viet Nam.

Re-assigned to Supply Bn, Supply company at camp Sukuran just down the road from Kadena air base where I stayed From 1965 to 1968. Then just after the 68 TET offensive I was re-assigned to the 1st Marine Division back at camp Pendleton where I stayed until my discharge in 1968.
Spent two years sweating it out on inactive reserve duty until final HONORABLE discharge in 1970.

So there you have it.....

Carry On Marines!!

Cpl Miller 1964 - 1970 USMC
gmiller@yellowfootprints.com
www.militarycommcenter.com
Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Visiting Worker Bee

What can be side about lifers? Do you want a book? It did not start out that way. I enlisted as a Senior in high school, The day I graduated I was sent to MCRD San Diego, Platoon 280. That was May 1956.

I started out as a grunt 0311 rifleman with the 4th Marines. I was then transferred to a 60mm mortar squad and worked my way up from 3rd ammo carrier to gunner.

Because I was very good at math and figuring angles for distance my CO thought I was too smart to be a enlisted man. One of the things they kept looking at was that my military IQ was 137 and when checked was perfect in math. I was sent to disbursing for a interview and was at once transferred from my line company to disbursing as a disbursing clerk. I was then offered two different officer candidate programs. (I was able to pick). At the time there was the scientific education program that would mean going to the Naval Academy and a temporary commission as a 2ndLt or... I could sign up for a brand new program where I could go to the college of my choice and upon completion receive a permanent commission as a 2ndLt as a Disbursing Officer. That turned out to be a no brainer and I took the one that lead to a permanent commission as a Disbursing Officer.

The only catch was that I had 4 years to complete college and get my degree and I had to carry a full work load while going to college. I also had to reenlist for 6 years. I agreed and then I had to go before a officer candidate review board. That was set up and I went before my commanding officer and four other officers where I was questioned about a lot of different things. I passed the review board. I started college at the University of Hawaii. At the end of my first year I was rotated back to Camp Pendleton under spacial orders to go to a college of my choice that would give me a degree in accounting. When I arrived at Camp Pendleton I was assigned to the disbursing office at main side. They were going to keep me there. I requested permission to talk to the base commanding general and explained my problem with him about my special program and he agreed at once and within 30 days I was transferred to 100 Harrison street in San Francisco where I completed my college within the time limit. The day I received my degree I was discharged (early) and the next day I was commissioned a 2ndLt. I stayed with my unit there was a opening at TBS.

When I went to Quantico that was the one and only time I was ever east of California. After TBS I was sent back to the San Francisco area. Later after being promoted to 1stLt I was assigned to the budgets section and attached to the 12th Naval district. I spent the rest of my career doing budgets for the western area.

I retired in 1976 at the rank of Major (O-4) and started a 2nd Career as a insurance adjuster/investigator. In 1983 I started my own company and I'm still at it today 32 years after retirement from the Corps. The Marine Corps was so long ago for me as it is for a lot of you. But I am still a Marine today, 52 years after stepping off that bus from the airport and walking on those yellow foot prints in the middle of the night.

Those are only the highlights... If you want more you will have to read my book that I have yet to write.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 AM

Thumbs up

In the Beginning...
Enlisted 1965, PISC Grad Sept. 1965(plt 255).
First duty station PISC, Depot Band.
Nam in Sept 66 till 1 OCT 67 w/1stMARDiv Band(2 months) and 3rd MARDiv Band (rest of tour).
Re-enlisted in jULY 1969 for the Computer Field and got Married at the base chapel at Quantico(stilll Married to the same lady) the next month and started Computer School the next week.
Reported to the MCCDPS in Kansas City in JAn 1970 and stayed till late summer in 1973.
Then to III MAF on OKI to help man a new deployable Computer Center.
Returned to Kansas City in fall 1974 and stayed till Aug of 1980 when I transferred back to Quantico to be an Instructor at the Computer School.
IN NOV 1983 it was off to be the ISMO Chief at I MAW.
Returned to MCLB Albany, Ga in 1984 and transferred to the FMCR 30 NOV.1985.
Moved back to Kansas City and found a Job as a Computer Programmer and in 2006 having reached the ripe age of 59yrs and 6 months I retired again.
Now I do Volunteer work 3 days a week at a local Hospital and bug my wife the rest of the time.

Last edited by devildog-64012; 12-25-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: editorial clean-up
Old 12-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

I'm always impressed with Marines that have served whether it be for one or two tours or career Marines that retired from the Corps. I think I began to respect career Marines even more after I left active duty because I kept up to date on what the Corps was doing and joined a number of Veteran organizations.

I, myself am a one tour Marine. I joined in 1958 and came out of Parris Island with a 0800 MOS. But, in the infinate wisdom of the Corps, my first duty station was Marine Barracks Norfolk. The fact that my first duty was working outside of my MOS worked against me later on.

I spent about a year standing duty on the gates and other posts on NOB and NAS. Because I was one of the few Marines in Marine Barracks that could get a Final Top Secret clearence, I was sent to the Marine detachment at Armed Forces Staff College where I stood duty for about another year. I had made LCPL fairly quickly and was put in for a meritorious promotion to CPL in 1961. Although I was qualified for the promotion (I had taken all of the required MCI courses), the fact that I had never worked in my primary MOS knocked out the promotion. When I finally got into an artillery unit, ranks in the 08xx field were frozen for a few years.

I ended up getting a manditory transfer to Camp Lejeune in 1961. Because I was now an 0811, I was sent to Force Troops which had a number of heavy artillery units at that time. The clerk I talked to at Force Troops headquarters asked me if I wanted to do a little traveling. He said he had a platoon in one of the batteries that was starting to gear up for a Med Cuise. I said "Sure!" and he assigned me to 2nd 8" Howitzer Battery (SP).

When I reported into the platoon, I was shocked that close to 80-90% of the platoon was made up of LCPL's or CPL's because of the freeze on promotions in artillery. When my CO saw that I had a Final Top Secret clearence, he said he couldn't waste that. He got a waiver to enable me to be sent for training on the nuclear round at the Navy's Nuclear Weapons Training Center. The guidelines for acceptance to the school was supposed to be that only SGT's or above were to attend.

What was funny about going to the school as soon as I reported to Lejeune was it was at NAS in Norfolk! When I reported into the school, a Navy clerk told me that, because I was a Marine, I could either stay at a Navy barracks near the school or stay at Marine Barracks. I opted for the latter which shocked a lot of guys at the barracks when I showed up a few weeks after I left.

I see I'm getting kind of long winded so I'll add some sea stories later.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Kinda freaked me out Jack

when I saw your post it was in blue ink...hey, did you post about your little accident and hygiene issues? LOL
Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

If you are seeing text in a message in blue, it's probably because the vBulletin style your login is set up for is vBulletin 2 Style which is the version Gary is presently testing colors on and most text is currently in blue.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM

How Long Did I Serve in The Corps?

One tour: 4-years on active duty and 2-years ready reserve, 1959-1965.

Combat Engineer (1371).

Served with MAG-16, 1st Marine Air Wing on Okinawa; TAD to the Sea-Bees for 10-months while they finished construction of MCAF, Futema in 1960.

Deployed to Northern Thailand (Udorn, about 20-something miles from the Laotian border) in 1961. We were attached to the Southeast Asian Joint US Military Advisory Group (JUSMAG). We provided ground support and security for an Air America Helicopter Squadron running missions for the Laotian Government (Laos, that other SE Asian war).

I was a Corporal with the 2nd Pioneer Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, at Camp Lejeune when we deployed to the Caribbean in October, 1962, in response to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Released from active duty in 1963. Honorably discharged in 1965.

- LarSim
Old 12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Visiting Worker Bee

LarSim.. My brother was in Cuba during the missile crisis from October 1962 to March 1963.

He was with Amtrak's then. We joined the Corps on the same day with my cousin. The three of us went to boot camp together. We had orders to go to Alaska and they sent us to cold weather training from ITR. At the end of cold weather training our orders were changed and the three of is were sent to our first duty station together with the 4th Marines at Kaneohe Bay Hawaii of all places after being in cold weather training to good old tropical weather..

I went to A company, 1st Battalion. My brother went to Amtraks, and my cousin went to the motor pool.

We stayed together for another 2 years before we were split up. I came back to California to go to college. My cousin went to Japan and my brother went to the Philippines.

After that we were never together again except some times meeting when they would pass through the San Francisco area going to or coming from a foreign port.

My cousin retired 5 months before me and my brother retired 3 months after me.

My Web Page http://marinechat.com/marinechuck/
Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM

how long in Corps.

just under 5 years, had to extend for MSG duty. spent two years in Jamaica, first year was okie, I was in supply. spent a short time in PI in special services then to MSG school in Arlington. this was 65 to 70 .
Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Served on Active Duty from Sep 72 thru Sep 94. Started off as a grunt 0351 ended up as an MP 5811. Still bleeding green as far as the Doc can tell.

Semper Fidelis,

GunnyMack
Old 12-20-2008, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up How long?

4 years active,2 years inactive
bootcamp P.I. July 1980,ITS ,0351/52
29 Palms,1/4 A Co.WPNS plt 80-82
then 3/6 Wpns Co. Dragon PLt 82-84
then 4TH Mar. Div 84-86
Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM

Neat thread

Boot Jan 75-Apr 75 MCRDSD 2014
MAGS-38 MWCS-38 El Toro Apr 75-Sept 75
July 75 TAD Wire school Camp Pend.
Sept 75-Aug 76 A Co. Marine Barracks Subic Bay NAS Philippines
Aug 76-Jan 77 Special Operations Branch Office of Provost Marshall Subic Bay
Jan 77- Jan 78 Comm Spt Co 9th Comm Blt 29 Palms Calif.
Jan 78- July 78 MSG Schools and Courses
July 78- Jan 79 MWCS 38 El Toro
Old 12-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Thumbs up Well let's see......

Went to San Diego July 58.....Plt 260 in the old q-huts...... and no cars on the grinder.....couldn't have the recruits running around cars now could we!....After ITS I bounced around a bit till I got to Golf 2/5 in Mar/Apr 59 to lock on for West Pac.....I was a 0311 but in Golf Co I was made a 0331 machine gunner light .30...... Based out of Camp Schwab but roamed the western Pacific....."Operation Blue Star" on Formosa.....the usual spots....Subic Bay @ the old C-B huts up next to Cuby Point.....the airfield was not in use except for the aero club and maybe a transport once in a while....Olongapo, dirt streets and bouncers with shotguns and Thompson sub-machine guns @ the door.....Hong Kong....Fuji Japan. Came back in Dec 60 went on leave then to Alpha Recon for my last 5 months. Got out in July 61 recieved my Honorable July 64.....6 yr obligore....done!.....Went back into the active reserves around Dec 64.....only this time I went as a helicopter mech.....Memphis in Oct 65..... Active duty April 66.... Nam in Aug 68/Sept69...Santa Ana 69/72 HMH 363..... KMCAS HMH463 72/76.... NAS Alameda HMH 769 76/79.... KMCAS HMH 463/262 and Career Planner Mag 24 79/83.... SOI Camp Pendelton 1st Sgt 83/85 Retired Aug 85 with 23 yrs total....I'd do it all over again even knowing what I had to go through....Bruce

Last edited by bhanse; 12-23-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: 1 addition
Old 12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
drfenders

30 Years, 2 months and 2 days... they wouldn't let me stay any longer than that.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:49 PM

One tour 4 years active 2 years reserve 1959-1965
MOS 0311 and 5811
Started off at RCRDSD July 1st 1959 while on mess duty I came down with blood poison and spent two weeks in the hospital had to pick up a new platoon when I got out. Dont remember my old platoon number but my new one was 152 I graduated Oct ? 1959 then on to 2nd ITR at Camp Pendelton. March of 1960 boarded a ship for my first duty station K bay F/2/4. Shortly after arriving I again boarded a ship this time destination Kao-Haiung Taiwan where we were to play War Games against the 3rd Mar Div from Okie. We spent about a month there and then boarded ships for R and R in Yokuska Japan I had just turned 18 and was Japan a blast. After two weeks we boarded another ship for the ride back to K Bay. When we got home we pulled manuvers on the other Islands to keep us ready. In 1961 we again boarded ships this time for Camp Pendelton Ca to play War Games against the 1st Mar Div. Two nights out we turned around and were headed for Okinawa. We heard that the 3rd Mar Div had boarded ships and were heading for Udorn Thailand for ground support and security for Air America and we were to be in reserve. We spent two weeks anchored up in a Bay off Okie . We were allowed Cinderella Liberty and not knowing the going rate there we spent what they said. Well nothing happened at Udorn so off we went back to K Bay. I had a friend that was stationed on Okie at the time and he told me when he got back that the going rate was higher and that the guys were pissed at us. Oh well. Back at K Bay I spent a tour with the Military Police and then back to F/2/4. Rotated back to Camp Pendelton March 1962 and then went to China Lake Ca as a Military Policeman. Finished up my tour there and got out March 1963. Transferred to the 4th Mar Div Reserves Honorably discharged July 1st 1965. Would I do it again you bet in a heart beat. Got to love the Corps Thats my story and I am going to stick with it. Semper Fi

Last edited by Jenks; 05-31-2009 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add on
Old 05-31-2009, 05:31 PM

6 yrs, 4 mths, 18 days. But, Who's counting
Old 06-04-2009, 06:35 PM

Why the hell does it matter how long I was in the Corps!!!!!!
Is this another one of those damn forums where you are not a real
Marine unless you have a purple heart?
Somebody needs to do some damn explaining why this Question was even asked.
Is this a brotherhood or a smearhood?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 PM

No smear here

I personally think it is just a question to find out what our brother and sister Marines did while they were in our beloved Corps. Nothing else my friend!
Semper Fi