Yellow Foot Prints Forums  

Go Back   Yellow Foot Prints Forums > Yellow Foot Prints News [Main Page] > The Polling Booth

The Polling Booth [Main Page]
Join in with your ratings and opinions to posted polls.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Uniforms.....

Do you still have your uniforms.
For me ,yes ,all still in my sea bag.
(No they don't fit.)
Aug- Nov,1964, Plt. 380
Honor Platoon
Amtracs
YATYAS
Old 12-01-2007, 05:18 AM

I still have a bunch of my trash, so does my wife. I couldn't pass a JOB with it (wore all my cammies out) but still have my Alphas, Blues, Charlie and Bravo shirts, field scarves, Black Cadillacs, etc. I have my wife's stuff mostly vacuum-packed, mine is hanging on display in the gun room.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Cool Uniforms

I gave them all to a new boot when I got out
I got way to fat to fit.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:32 PM

I got my charlies or whatever they call them. I plumped up since 1980, can't get my leg thru the waist....
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Cool I actually got a lot of use out of my uniforms

The wool green trousers were great for winter wear. My utilities were used for camping, hunting and fishing trips until they wore out. I used my combat boots and boondockers for a lot of years until they sarted falling apart. I also used my dress shoes for a lot of years. My Khakis were great for general work around the house. Moths got to my wool greens and tropicals after a while. I had four sets of dress blues. One set was bought when I first joined. I was then issued two sets when I was put into a detachment that primarily wore dress blues for duty. I sold those three sets when I got out as they were the old wool blues. I did keep my fourth set as I bought it when the Corps switched to gabardine blues since they were a lot more comfortable especially during the summer. Although I still have them, sadly, they seem to have shrunk around the waist and I couldn't even come close to buttoning them up!

Old 06-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Still have my Ike Jacket. Use to wear it when I was stationed at China Lake Ca. MP company. Can not get but one arm in it now. Dam that old wool stuff shrinks!

Last edited by Jenks; 06-08-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 AM

Uniforms

Jenks, "IKE" jacket? are you sure you weren't in the Army?Marines call them Battle Jackets.

Still have most of them, 50 years later I still weigh about the same, but the weight seems to have shifted and can't even get into my own pants. haha I can't button greens or blues. I can fit into the old "horse blanket", aka, over coat.
I think that they must have shrunk, after being put away with moth balls for 50 yrs.

Last edited by Ken Rohlff; 06-10-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM

Angry

Now that was an insult I got mine when a friend got out of the Marine Corps while we were stationed at China Lake. I was an MP at the time and we could wear them when on duty. And yes we called it an Ike Jacket not Battle Jacket. Why I do not know.
but I still have it.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Cool I also remember them being called "Battle Jackets"

I was issued one at PI even though they were no longer standard seabag issue. I think the Corps dropped them from the uniform list in the mid 50's.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 AM

battle jackets

I got mine in 1958 and it was called "battle jacket". I got rid of mine when the new uniforms came out, this was when the wool uniforms were replaced. You had to have two blouses then, different material was used in the new uniforms. Don't remember what year that happened. None of my uniforms fit me now either. They musta shrunk,
Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Cool At Parris Island, in 1958, I was issued 1 Battle Jacket and 1 Blouse

That caused me some grief as the battle jacket had been eliminated from the standard uniform issue before I reported into Marine Barracks Norfolk. I could wear the battle jacket on base but couldn't wear it off base or for inspection. They finally issued me an allotment to replace my battle jacket and the one set of herringbone utes they issued me at Parris Island. Back in those days, the Corps shipped any outdated uniforms to the recruit depots to get rid of inventory even though those uniforms might not be authorized.

OBTW.... The wool greens were still standard in 1962 when I got out. About a year befor I got out, they changed the wool dress blues from wool to gaberdine.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 AM

Re: At Parris Island, in 1958, I was issued 1 Battle Jacket and 1 Blouse

Quote:
Originally posted by JITB
That caused me some grief as the battle jacket had been eliminated from the standard uniform issue before I reported into Marine Barracks Norfolk. I could wear the battle jacket on base but couldn't wear it off base or for inspection. They finally issued me an allotment to replace my battle jacket and the one set of herringbone utes they issued me at Parris Island. Back in those days, the Corps shipped any outdated uniforms to the recruit depots to get rid of inventory even though those uniforms might not be authorized.

OBTW.... The wool greens were still standard in 1962 when I got out. About a year befor I got out, they changed the wool dress blues from wool to gaberdine.
I was issued my clothing about the middle of Apr 1958. As you have stated we could only wear the battle jacket on base at Lejuene, they did allow us to wear it on guard duty. I was in !st Bn, 6th Marines at that time. It sure was warmer to wear than that blouse, especially when the wind was blowing. The MP's in Jacksonville wore it too.
Seems like when the uniform changed, we had to buy the new greens. They did however issue us the newer utes to replace the herringtone, The herringtone utility cover sure did hold starch and was comfortable to too.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Cool Since my first duty station was a Marine Barracks....

having outdated uniforms was a problem. I ended up getting an allotment to replace what had been issued me at PI. Funny thing was that I was told I had to keep my battle jacket and herringbone utes while I was at Marine Barracks as they were still listed in my "seabag" issue. When I was transferred to Lejeune I was still able to wear them on base but not off base.

I'll say one thing about the herringbone utes. They outlasted the sateen utes that replaced them. I still had them when I got out and wore them for a number of years hunting, fishing and camping. The same was true of those "fuzzy" combat boots I was issued at PI. I couldn't count how many times I had them resoled and reheeled. I finally trashed them when the seams started falling apart some years after I got out of the Corps.